SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Southern Ontario Orchid Show

xmpraedicta
15 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I had a great time again at this year's show, clerking and later volunteering with the members sale table. This year I did paph hybrids...since I know nothing about paphs phrags or anything with a pouch, it was a pretty good learning experience! There were lots of great plants in the displays, and the vendors were plentiful and well stocked.

Here are some photos from the show - a bonus for being a clerk and arriving at 7:30AM is first dibs on sales and also photography time without the crowds! I wrote down the name of every plant I took a photo of, but managed to lose the scrap of paper..grr. I'm sure it's kicking around somewhere, but until then, all I have are names from memory.

{{gwi:143038}}{{gwi:143040}}{{gwi:143042}}

Other things that were pretty fun:

I managed to walk away with just two plants (ancistrochilus thomsonianus, leptotes bicolor), both of which have been on the wish list. I got a great deal for the leptotes ($10) so I also bought some cork for mounting. Other tempting plants included Dendrobium cucumerinum, aerangis luteo alba var. R, and cymbidium lancifolium. I think I should get a standing ovation for good behavior :)

I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that one of the three photos I submitted for the art exhibit won a 2nd place ribbon :)

{{gwi:143045}}

I found out about a plant that I now must have at some point: Cymbidium lancifolium - {{gwi:143048}}

...and I'll be back hopefully with photos from the Royal Botanical Gardens Orchid Society show in two weeks, along with a trip to the Cloud's Orchids spring preview. I love February.

-Calvin

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting