SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ray_ratliff

Ants!

ray_ratliff
16 years ago

I am sure that many of you occasionally have problems with ants making their home in or around your orchids. I am also sure that many of you already know this information, but for those who do not, read on and enjoy! Tonight I found that a colony was moving (eggs & all) onto my balcony from the one above! So I thought I would share my favorite "SAFE" ant killing technique.

Buy a small container of grape jelly (do not buy sugar free or artificially sweetened jelly, they do not seem to like it as much). Mix in boric acid until it begins to take on a milky purple bisques look. Make sure that you stir it with a fork so you can work out the little lumps more easily.

Fill a small bottle cap with the mix (or place it onto a Post It! pad) & place them in the direct path of the ants. Watch them swarm around it! They do not die instantly; they take it back to the colony & feed it to the queen and the other ants. Give it a week or two & they will all be gone!! Best of all, its safe for use around humans & pets!

Be sure to take a close look at your plants to be sure there are not OTHER creepy crawlies (like scale or mealy bugs) hiding under your plants leaves that the ants could be feeding on.

-Ray-

Comments (11)