SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire1_2007

Who's your favorite online orchid seller?

claire1_2007
16 years ago

I was bitten by the orchid bug just over a year ago. It started out with a single phal purchase for my ailing grandmother. It brought her so much joy that I purchased two phals for myself. I than started purchasing different types of orchids online without really knowing what they were or what they needed. After 6 months and maybe 2 dozen orchids later I started purchasing the necessary books to learn all that I could about them.

Now I do research before I order orchids to make sure they are "beginner" varieties and not cloud forest orchids that require 90% moisture at all times. Yup - one of my early purchases was a Neofinetia Falcata. It's doing well in a little terrarium with a few other orchids.

Here are the online sellers that I've used and my experience with them. Can other's let me know where they go online?

orchids.com - I ordered a miniture phal from them but cancelled the order two days later. The day after I placed my order the credit card number that I used was stolen and someone tried to charge over $4000.00 with it. My credit card company denied the charge and called me the same day. Orchids.com said their site was secured and assured me that my information was safe with them.

alohaorchid.com - I've purchased from them several times. Their prices are good. They substitute orchids even when you ask them not to. (twice so far) Some of the orchids arrive in questionable condition. I've just destroyed a Miltassia Royal Robe 'Jerry's Pick' purchased from them that I suspect had a virus. They don't regularly ship their plants with names on them so you have to do a little work to tag them.

Orchidsbyhausermann.com - I've ordered from them several times and I can't complain about their service or the quality of their orchids. However, their web site is only set up to ship orders via the post office. They don't offer next day or second day shipping so you need to enter that preference in the remarks field to get them to ship via Fed Ex or UPS. (Or call their customer service number.)

orchidsweb.com (Orchids Limited) - I only purchased from them once. I ordered a Miltonia orchid. The description said that it was in a 5 inch pot. It arrived over-potted in a 5 inch pot and I immediately transplanted it into a 3 inch pot.

e-bay store the orchid farm. - Purchased from them once and all three orchids were growing out of their pots. Other than that no complaints.

e-bay store royalorchidclub.com - None of the orchids were tagged with anything other than three digit numbers. All their orchids were juveniles and that wasn't made clear in the descriptions. They ship everything bare root and they don't indicate what size the plant is.

Carter and Holmes Orchids via Amazon.com. One of my earlier purchases. Their orchids are also juveniles. They do indicate 2.5 inch pots to bloom within 2 - 3 years but as a newbie it didn't register just how small these little guys were until after I received the order. They share the terrarium with the neof and all of the royalorchidclub babies. My earlier orders would be 2 or 3 orchids at a time. Lesson here is to order one orchid to check out a new seller.

Who do you order from?

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals