SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emyers_gw

langbeinite vs potassium sulfate vs muriate of potash vs kmag

emyers
14 years ago

Help me out here.

Need a potassium source for about 5 acres of land to grow an initial cover crop.

Potassium sulfate is cost prohibitive because it has to be shipped in.

That leaves:

1.Muriate of potash which while it's not omri listed, can be used if it's applied so that it doesn't accumulate (or something to that effect), therefor not my first choice.

2. K-Mag, which used to be listed but has since had oil (or some chemical) added to keep dust down and is no longer OMRI Listed.

3. Burn dead pine trees and use the ash? How many trees/pounds of ash would this take (I have plenty because of pine beetle infestation)and since my ph is in the 4.6-5.3 range, the liming qualities of the ash probably will be ok correct?

4. Chicken Litter. Poultry houses all around here and it's used regularly by local farmers. My concerns are the unknowns about the material. It does appear to be a balanced fertilizer and should work on my land.

So, which would be better? I can get the K mag for very cheap from a fertilizer blender.... what exactly is the additive and what makes it so it's not omri listed? Is this any worse than the muriate of potash?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting