SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bradleyo_gw

Looking for ideas for inexpensive raised beds

bradleyo_gw
10 years ago

Hello all, new to this board. Looking for the cheapest and best option for a raised bed. I have 2 problems, my existing veggie garden is in a poorly drained spot, and my dog is able to always find a way into my large area of fenced off veggie garden.

The idea is to create multiple raised beds no more than 4-6' wide so that I create rows in between the beds to walk between, and it is not hard to reach from 1 side to past midpoint of the bed, for weeding and harvesting purposes. I also would never have to walk directly on my planting soil preventing compaction.

I would like them to be at least 12-18" above grade and I'd like smaller areas that are easier to fence off from the dogs with the raised aspect also being a deterrent. Of course the raised bed will help with the current drainage problem.

2 ideas I've come up with so far are, in order of preference:

Solution 1: 1" X 6" X 6' cedar fence pickets at $2.78/each. Pricey, as ideally I would used cedar 2 x 2's to sink in the ground and use as posts, then screw the pickets into those posts. Or I could use cedar 4 X 4's. Problem is, I can find those pickets, but no cedar posts. I thought about sawing those pickets in half width wise and creating homemade 2 x 3's, but I don't have a table saw, nor do I believe any of my friends or neighbors.

Solution 2: Standard 3" X 5" X 8' landscape timbers. For some reason though, there is a disclaimer on them saying, "Not for use with ground contact". Well, what's the purpose of landscape timber if it's not meant for ground contact? On the websites, the seem to come either treated or no description, and the yahoo's I've asked all say they're treated. I don't want treated because I want an organic veggie garden. If I can find untreated timbers, I'm worried about the durability and warping.

I'm open to all ideas including modifications of the above, and new ideas, as long as it's organic.

Comments (10)