SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ech_a_holic

Shriveled Oncidium Bulbs

ech_a_holic
14 years ago

Greetings All,

My question today is concerning the Dancing Lady of the orchid world, Miss. Oncidium.

My beef with this genus is that they seem to be (in my opinion) one of the hardest to maintain aesthetically. I can keep them alive, but I almost always have to look at a shriveled bulb. I mean we are talking about some severe wrinkling up the side of two or three bulbs, not necessarily all of them.

When speaking to someone at my local nursery they suggested that the bulbs were "old" and eventually going to be dropped by the plant. This theory holds value except that the plants themselves are relatively young (maybe 2 years).

I have tried watering them more often as I thought initially that they were drying out and sapping the water out of the bulb for sustenance, but that only allowed me to discover how to rot an oncidium quickly. I am aware that it prefers to be a bit more moist than some orchids, but there is a fine line when watering more than once a day to try and plump up some shriveled bulbs.

Then I tried watering less and watched the bulbs shrivel even more and the entire plant suffer. Once I did water again I was greeted with more rot due to the stress I was putting on it while not watering.

Now I have killed two different oncidiums in about two months (so much sadness).

This destructive cycle is what brings me here today. Help my little ballerinas please. Tell me, oh great sages, why oh why can I not get a smooth bulb?

I am also having this same problem with my Brassidiums, only not to the degree as with the Oncidiums. They hold relatively stable and the crackling is slow.

Am I dealing with an invisible virus or fungus? Do my plants just hate me?

Please help me restore my confidence and achieve a smooth bulb.

Thank you so much in advance !

~ Patrick

Comments (16)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES