SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cj_speciosa

Oncidiums....spent bulbs.

10 years ago

So my oncidium (sharri baby) has produced several new bulbs which have flowered already. There are still the old bulbs from last year that flowered when I bought it at a show. What do you guys do with these "spent" bulbs? I'm assuming they're done and are not going to flower any more.

What is the protocol here?

Comments (4)

• 10 years ago

Leave them. They serve as an energy reserve. For example, If the plant loses its roots, new growth is generated from the energy stored in these bulbs rather than the roots like they normally would. They are referred to as back bulbs.

You can make divisions of your plants with them. Just make clumps the consist of a few of these bulbs, and new growths will grow from them.

This post was edited by terpguy on Fri, May 2, 14 at 17:44

• 10 years ago

Thanks Terp. Good to know.

So I can use just the back bulbs to make new plants, or do the clumps have to contain back bulbs and newer bulbs?

• 10 years ago

General advice for Cymbidiums that might be applicable to Oncidiums is to have the growing lead and counting back from that lead 3 or 4 pseudobulbs in divisions,

• 10 years ago

Both ways, as I mentioned and as Arthur mentioned. Dividing the lead growths (most recent few bulbs) as Arthur describes is the best way and gets the plant established faster.

Back bulb divisions are the left-overs of the above process. Back bulb division is less ideal as it takes longer to establish. Most people only do it if they divide their plant and don't don't really want to throw out the old growth. They can keep it or trade it away.

This post was edited by terpguy on Fri, May 2, 14 at 20:38

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES