SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jazmynsmom

Snow ettiquette

17 years ago

One of the qualities I like in Midwesterners is how the neighbors seem to treat pitching in like a point of honor. In our neighborhood now, as it was when I was growing up, the first person who bundles up to shovel does several neighbors' sidewalks. Not necessarily driveways (unless the neighbor is elderly or a mom home alone with kids), but definitely sidewalks.

We have a really good shovel, so I can usually do about four sidewalks in the time it takes someone to gas and fire up a snow blower... so long as there's 3" or less of snow. Our snow blower has an electric ignition so it's easy to start, but it's small, so it gets bogged down after about 6" (which is way more than we usually get). After that, it's nothing but shovels... or neighbors with better tools.

We got 6" overnight and it drifted pretty badly. A neighbor with a mac-daddy snowblower helped Steve with the driveway and the berm that the plow left, and then did all the sidewalks. When they were finished I looked out our living room window to see {{gwi:143116}}. Clearly, this neighbor has the coolest toy of all!

We're supposed to get up to a foot more of snow tonight. Any travel not done in the next couple of hours (which is pretty dicey already) will have to wait until sometime Monday. I think the neighbor with the Bobcat is parking it in his garage with the blade facing out. I hope he feels like being a hero again tomorrow, because I'm hoping to not go outside at all!

A neighbor and I got together and assembled a combined seed order today to "save money." LOL! One should never go grocery shopping while hungry, nor seed shopping during a blizzard!

Stay safe everyone!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm
More Discussions