SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

On the Downhill slide, and gaining momentum

calliope
16 years ago

Odds 'n ends time pertaining to wrapping up February. We got Ground Hog Day behind us, Honest Abe's B'day and Valentine's day. George Birthington's Washday is next, although it has been surgicated to a non-descript generic holiday honoring all presidents, some of whom I'd like to forget.

The sun shines brilliantly today, though it's still well below freezing. It has been a very kind winter in that respect, we are aloud to bathe our pineal glands in solar rays occasionally to keep us sane. There aren 't many birds at the feeders today, and that is typical of a sunny day after days of snow. My husband is out with the tractor and trailer hauling back wood a gentleman is harvesting from downed trees on our property, thanks to several winter storms.

My husband had been to the vets this a.m. to pick up refills of an antibiotic for our geriatric dog, who has had several episodes of severe inner ear infections, leading to a condition sometimes called Old Dog Syndrome. It presents like a stroke and I suspect more than one dog has been euthanised because that's an obvious diagnosis. Having been a nurse, I picked up on some neurological landmarks,and had hope...... and our vet is an excellent diagnostician and he also came to the conclusion what was wrong with his legs was in his ears. Anyhows, I have digressed......my dh says there is a notice on the bulletin board about raisin and grape toxicity to dogs. That's a new one on me. It's not an urban legend. Ingestion of either can kill a dog if in sufficient quantities. I mention it, because when our dog was younger, it's what we used as a treat for tricks. I'm surprised he lived to be geriatric. Just a head's up for dog owners.

It's been an very eventful week, and included the death of my last remaining uncle, who was the youngest of ten children. My peers, my cousins on both sides have officially stepped into the role of patriarchs/matriarchs of our families. My father's siblings spanned the years from 1905 to 2008. One set of children, just one generation on this earth........ one hundred and three years. Amazing. It closed an era and I find it very bittersweet and tears stay just under the surface this week with a leaky faucet in my eyes.

My plants are arriving from points all over the States (and some I suspect are even outsourced), and the brief winter holiday is now a memory. I had no work projects, unlike is my usual habit. I rested. I quilted. I don't feel guilty as the walls in our old foyer are still awaiting mudding and a skim coat, lol.

I am so ready for spring. Your turn.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions