SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pnbrown

Sustainability vs economic productivity

pnbrown
16 years ago

I'm starting a new thread since the other discussion has moved well beyond soil erosion.

Taking off on Marshall's last comment: I think you really put your finger on the problem of sustaining food production indefinitely into the centuries of the future - though perhaps inadvertently. Economic productivity is, in truth, at odds with sustainability. Never more clearly than in horticulture and agriculture, IMO.

If Peter is right that arable soils are inexorably eroding away, and Marshall is right that organic gains are ephemeral, then there can be no sustainable economic productivity in the raising of food. The only sustainable model will be super-local crop and animal raising, and raised for the most part by the eaters themselves, and with some substantial portion of the land base in long-term management like permaculture and forest.

Living in new england gives one a view into permaculture, albeit accidental. The land was cleared, too widely and used unwisely, with predictable results. After 200 years, the ag base was collapsing. Primary farming moved on, and the land re-forested, leaving scattered subsistence homesteads and small dairy producers behind until 75 years ago or so. Now even those are mostly gone. But freshly-cleared land that has been re-forested for 100-200 years yields good results, even in glacial till.

I could very easily envision a permaculture cycle on, say, ten acres of re-forested poor ag land. One could have about six acres always in forest and fruit in various stages, and several acres of grazing and arable. I've no doubt such a scheme could support the food and fuel production for a large family for as many centuries as needed. Of course, there would be no economic productivity. Try to get cash out of this operation, on any regular or significant basis, and the sustainability is gone. For that, we need the mediavel "hide" or hundred acres per family.

Comments (27)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH