SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tibs_gw

What is in Your Trunk?

tibs
14 years ago

Car Trunk that is. Mom hasn't driven for a year. Grandson needed car. He has the car that is 11 years old with under 16,000 miles and only driven by a little old lady around town.

And in the trunk when he cleaned it out was enough stuff to equip a small home. Boxes that fit in just so for the groceries so they wouldn't slide around. Water bottle. Jumper cables. Tire gage. All the little notebooks with all the mileage and gas purchased neatly entered and the MPG calculated. Every recept for every item every purchased for the car and every repair. Several scrapers. Gallon of windshield wiper fluid. Rope for tie downs. A blanket. An extra coat, gloves scarf and rubber pull over shoe boots that had my sister's name printed in them. She wore them when she was in gradeschool. Those boots are pushing 50. Mom has little feet, so she could still wear them. A folding shovel in case you got stuck in the snow. A first aid kit that you could take to the Antique Road Show. Flairs. The fold out sign you put in your windshiold that says "call police." distilled water for battery (aren't they waterless now?) Styrafoam small cooler. (Mom use to seperate her groceries and put the perishables in the cooler so they wouldn't spoil. She lived 15 minutes from the store.)

So I looked in my trunk. Boots, spare pair of tennis shoes. Umbrella. Hardhat (use to have to go to construction sites at former job. Haven't had that job for 5 years). Insulated bag big enough to hold a pizza box from when I worked at old job an hour away and would bring pizza home from the local pizza shop.)

Think it is time for me to quit ragging on my mom for having too much stuff and clean out my trunk.

Comments (25)

• mawheel
    14 years ago

I'm a pack rat with some things, but the car trunk, evidently, is not one of them. There is a shower curtain spread over the carpet, in case anything spills, and the foot parts to DH's wheelchair, which he only needs if I'm pushing him, which is why they're left in the car.

Gosh, as much stuff as I pile every place else, I'm thrilled to discover something within my domain is neat! >:)

• tibs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I forgot, I have a shower curtain too. It is to spread on the bottom of the trunk or in the baack seat when I buy plants. I also have an old raincoat for the same purpose.

• Related Discussions

Straight trunks coming up next to main trunk.

Q

Comments (2)
    I assume you mean these additional "trees" are coming out of the ground below the graft union. Are blossoms identical? Most common rootstock for apricots and prone to suckering is Myrobolan which will produce fruit you are unlikely to be fond of. Experimentation is fine but I wouldn't let them crowd the intended scion tree.
    ...See More

Show me your steamer trunks in your decor...

Q

Comments (7)
    We have one at the foot of DS2's room. It holds extra blankets. I have NO IDEA what happened to the color in this photo--- the real color is a medium grayish gold, and the Ikat fabric is cream and olive green. (It is the same fabric, just reverse sides.) For context, here is the other side of the room: There is an English dresser made of dark scrubbed pine, and a desk we had made for the room with a leather Parson's chair and a club chair by the window with a small leather ottoman. This is the desk: It's an eclectic mix of new and old, and the trunk fits in pretty well.
    ...See More

If tree has single trunk, will air layered branch become that trunk?

Q

Comments (8)
    beany.. i have read this 5 times.. i have no clue what you are getting at ... you start by air layering the trunk ??? .. and then immediately call it a branch ... whats that all about ... if you cut off the trunk.. the single trunk.. on most trees ... it will regrow two or three new sprouts.. and you have to reduce to one trunk.. if thats the form you want .. i have no clue why you would air layer such ... i have never heard nor thought about air layering.. in this situation.. maybe you need to tell us.. more specifically ... about what you are thinking about doing ... beside butchering your young tree .... this better not be another pear post.. lol ... [which is usually how you do it.. when you dont want the screeds ... lol] bottom line.. maybe you ought to give this plant a few years.. to actually branch.. before you dream about propagating it .... ken
    ...See More

To paint or not to paint your trunks

Q

Comments (24)
    Well you live in AZ so I'd go to HD and buy Arizonas Best tree paint. It'll be in the gardening section and comes in quarts premixed 50/50 with water so it's ready to use. That's what I use, I also use their fertilizer it's really good for our trees in the desert. Here's what it looks like. Evan
    ...See More
  • krista_marie
    14 years ago

I am glad you didn't ask a few months ago. I was disgusted when I realized what I was carting around. Currently, I have a tin tote full of returnables that the store wouldn't accept, a golf umbrella, a bungee cord with hooks on each end in case I throw something large in the trunk and need to secure the load, & a blue tarp.

• mwoods
    14 years ago

a car jack,a blanket, a yoga mat,a bag of soil and lots of chewed up sunflower seeds left by the mouse who is living there somewhere.

• west_gardener
    14 years ago

Two blankets, in case we want to go to the beach. A kite, we go and fly a kite now and then. Water bottles, and a lot of bunge cords.
    I have a 4door sedan that we call "mama's car" and it has been used to haul everything from xmas trees to couches and everything in between.
    The bunge cords have saved us tons of money in delevery and shipping costs.

• kathyjane
    14 years ago

Oak leaves, milk crate with a couple scrapers, antifreeze, transmission fluid, oil, window washer fluid, A reeeeeallly good set of heavy-duty jumper cables---love those babies, a roll of paper towels,, a sun screen, also have a doohicky screen you put over the windshield when expecting ice or snow----both of those came out of auction cars we got in a couple years ago---OK, some thumb screws for dealer tags---(I've always had to hide them), nuts, bolts, sometimes an air tank, plastic for putting down on the trunk floor when hauling junk to the dump---or the recycler, usually extra boots or at least clean, dry socks, and a whole bunch of other junk, which I keep forgetting to take OUT!!!!
    I keep the car stuff in a big milk crate because I was always switching over to different vehicles all the time.
    There's a pick-up I used a LOT---actually, TWO pick-ups, which my old boss Ed and I shared------ he sold one and abscounded with Ol' Blue to haul granite counter-tops for his house---that was about 6 months ago.
    My life hasn't been the same since then.
    Ol' Blue was my friend--almost a sweetheart---
    that's how well he knew my moods---and he was always smart enough to never talk back!!
    It goes along with having 287,000 miles on the odometer..

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    14 years ago

I have a Miata. So the spare tire, stuff to change the tire, washer fluid, brake fluid (it's a 20 year old car with a clutch), jumper cables, tow ropes, reusable grocery bags, and a bag with socks and deodorant. The umbrella stays behind the seat. There are sunglasses that stay on the visers. The flashlight is in the console. No extra anything ever. It's efficient because it has to be. Like my house. I have only what I have to have. Some day, I might live in excess when I win the lottery.

;)

• calliope
    14 years ago

I'm glad you didn't ask this when I had my jeep. LOL. Well, now that I have a three month old car it's simple. Five canvas bags for my marketing........so I don't slop up the world with plastic bags or kill trees for paper sacks. And I am officially an old lady, because I finally put in a cloth to drape over the upholstery in the trunk when I use the car to haul hay, feed, or flowerpots.

• tisha_
    14 years ago

Right now, my winter bag (wool blanket, wool sweater, water bottles, flashlight, gloves, socks, stocking cap, scarf, matches, cotton balls, am emergency candle, and a few power bars... and I'm probably forgetting something), 2 beach towels for when the dog rides in the car (she insists on the front passenger seat), extra shoes, the driver's side floor mat, a plastic tag liscense plate featuring the logo for the gradeschool I went to, and probably some books.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    14 years ago

I once had a boss, whose theory was "if you have a car, you're never short of a closet". You'd see her in the parking lot at the office, picking out a pair of shoes from the boot (not trunk, for me!) to match her outfit. There must have been 20 pairs in there.

Me: a drop cloth (in case I buy plants . . .) and a big box to put my shopping bags in, so I don't arrive home with groceries strewn all over the place. Um. That's it.

• kathyjane
    14 years ago

Tisha, I used to live a mile off the road in the Cabin-in -the-Woods---early '90's.
    Your list brought a wave of nostalgia as I read your post. As I ticked off the items, they matched almost to a T, things I'd carried in my little VW Rabbit for emergencies.
    I also had cat litter and shovel----and a maddock for keeping the trenches open that I'd dug across the road to keep water directed away from low spots as it led closer to the cabin.
    Wow!---Thank you for the memories you brought back---and I hope you don't have to get into any of your supplies this winter!

• User
    14 years ago

I will find out tomorrow, have to empty out the truck to take it to a transmission shop. They made big crew cabs in '68 so I have things in there I haven't seen for a couple of years. It is my work truck and I keep tree tools, ropes and saddles, pole pruners and saws, digging tools and cleanup tools besides the tool box full of wrenches and such. I could do a complete engine rebuild beside the road if I could find every thing. ;^) A big stack of burlap tarps for carrying trimmings is in the back seat and a few hats and extra sweat shirts in the front. Also have soil augers and fertilizing tools back there some where. guess after I unload it all and put it back after the fix I may be able to find what I need for a couple of weeks till it gets messed up gain.

• mary_piper
    14 years ago

Several canvas shopping bags, a bag of potting soil, a folding lawn chair.

• dirtdiver
    14 years ago

My trunk is minimalist, especially compared to how I used to keep it years ago. I used to operate under the theory that you should be able to live and dress out of your trunk for at least three days should an adventure come up. Instead, I just have a set of jumper cables and a reusable shopping bag filled with assorted papers, garden things and junk I didn't want the carwash guys to have to vacuum around. And I suppose that's also where I stashed the 50-year-old set of garden books (DDT--the miracle insecticide!!!) my dad foisted on me over the summer.

• kathyjane
    14 years ago

Man; Don---you make my collction of nippers, pruners, saws, loppers, etc, look like toys!--I LOVED leaving them in the truck (Ol'Blue)---they were always ready to go.---Always knew where they were and the truck always smelled so good inside, sittin' in the sun...Aren't trucks wonderful?
    Ol' blue always drank a lot of transmission fluid. I hope your isn't going to be a really big transmission job!

Apologies---didn't mean to hijack---I saw the word, 'TRUCK'--that's all it took---lost my head when I read,' crew cab'!

When I see a guy
    Walking along,
    I don't wait for
    Our eyes to meet.
    I size him up,
    Then look to see
    All that's parked
    Up and down the street.
    I can usually tell if
    He's in a compact,
    or a granny car like a Taurus.
    But, if he's wearin' flannel
    And ol' work boots,
    my eyes get misty and
    My heart is struck,
    Because I know
    Beyond a doubt,
    That man
    Belongs to a truck!

My heart flip-flops
    Inside my chest
    When he leans against
    The tailgate to take a rest.
    I figure out
    how many years
    too old I am
    To go and fetch me
    a pick-up man!
    I leave the dreams
    by the side of the street,
    But as I turn
    To go my way,
    My feet tip-tap
    to a brand-new beat!

---and that's all I gotta say about that.

• tibs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, yes KathyJane, I can relate. For all my school learnin' and white collar job, always attracted to the pick-up truck man. Married to one who also drives an "old Blue", only his is known as the Blue Mule. And he is a good daddy 'cause his little girl is attracted to the flannel shirt guys too.

• anneliese_32
    14 years ago

Trucks are the KY Cadillacs/Mercedes! Five houses, 6 trucks, we still got ours (it was used twice a year for hauling, the Christmas tree and in the spring potting soil, peat moss and mulch and last year the broken tree branches from the ice storm).
    Always had in the trunk a set of jumper cables, a set of car tools and an emergency kit with blanket, drop cloth, oil, water, flashlight and a flare, since I worked midnight shift.

• User
    14 years ago

KJ, you have such a way with words. Just for your curiosity and to let the thread get back on track I will describe my truck for you and take pictures to put on the gallery. Give me a few minutes.

• kathyjane
    14 years ago

Thumbs up!
    ---Oh, BTW, I taught my grandson how to do the pu truck wave a lonnnng time ago....he's gonna be OK.
    You guys--again I apologize for Hi-jacking---anybody who's been here for awhile is used to it and pays no mind---I get excited over something and just run with it, not out of rudeness, but sheer JOY!!!
    Maybe we could start a JOY Thread...

• User
    14 years ago

The truck is there on the gallery.

• mawheel
    14 years ago

To the gallery, I go!

• neil_allen
    14 years ago

No duck tape? My rule is a roll in every vehicle and if possible, one on every floor of every structure.

I drive a Ranger with just a small space behind the front seats and a center console/arm rest.

There's a bottle of windshield washer in the bed of the truck. Otherwise, it's usually empty during the week when I'm commuting to my office job.

Up front, I've got a set of cheap socket wrenches that rides on the hump of the transmission. Behind the seats are the jack, ratcheting straps and some bungees, a screwdriver, an umbrella, jumper cables, some mismatched gloves and a scarf.

In the console is a box of bandaids, assorted small bits and pieces and a bottle of Louisiana hot sauce for eating meals away from the South Side.

• instar8
    14 years ago

All that junk...;~( Ba donka-dunk...

• kathyjane
    14 years ago

Neil, the other truck I was driving, was a little Ranger ext. cab---perfect for throwing junk over the seat---just barely enough room, if there's not TOO much...
    It never really ran right, but it could get in nooks and crannies of the garden where I could load 'er up with brush and limbs---she earned my respect for saving me a bunch of time loading/hauling-wise!

Had to use 2 different tarps when hauling trash and junk to the dump--smaller one for her and bigger one for Ol' Blue.
    ----Can I just tell you how many straps and bungee cords I've screeched to a stop for while driving along the road?
    Those babies are GOLD!

• west_gardener
    14 years ago

Don't mean to hijack, but all this truck talk makes my heart flutter. My dream, a little red truck.

Sponsored
More Discussions