SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jazmynsmom

Mating season for foxes!

jazmynsmom
15 years ago

What an odd title for a post, and yet, the fox mating season is on my mind.

We got a phone call from a neighbor yesterday asking us if we were also awakened at 5:30 the previous morning. Um, no... why? It turns out there was a fox pacing and barking in our yards. It made incessant racket and paced our back yards and then walked between each set of houses to the front yards.

At first the neighbors didn't think it could be a fox, since they thought they should be hibernating right now. Turns out, it's mating season. We don't know if this fox was male or female, and if it's behavior was "randy" or territorial, but we made the neighbors promise that if they heard it again, they'll call and wake us up.

I welcome the presence of foxes in our yard. Indeed, we've had one that for the past several years takes a morning walk on the sidewalks in our neighborhood. We've got tons of bunnies, chipmunks, mice, moles and voles that I could live without.

I'm just really curious as to how my dogs will react when they see one. Will they play bow as they do to stray dogs and cats? Will they point and/or catch and kill them as they do with birds, bunnies and assorted vermin? Will they bark at them as they do deer? How do foxes normally respond to dogs? Or do they just avoid them? I've noticed Izzy sniffing the tracks and what I assume are the scented calling cards the fox left behind.

Do any of you live near foxes? Ever have a litter of kits whelped on or near your home? How did your dogs interact with them.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
More Discussions