SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cptmb

regraded around fruit trees on a slope

cptmb
12 years ago

Recently moved into a fixer upper place. The property is on a hill side with a small orchard. There is a row of citrus trees on the lowest slope. The ground beneath and around the trees was dry, compacted and bare of any vegetation. I noticed when it rained the first time this fall that water ran straight off into the easement below carrying soil with it. I decided to help the situation by terracing around each tree removing the soil from the higher side and adding it to the lower side to create steps that extend just past the drip lines. At the edge of the steps I mounded soil up to create a series of mini swells. The idea was to slow down erosion and divert the water through the property more efficiently allowing for better permeation. It would also allow me to amend the soil without losing it all to run off. The original grade under the swales at the lower perimeters are buried under about 15" of clay, clay loam now. I added 3 yards of peat moss to each ring when constructing to loosen up the soil. The semi healthy trees leaves are now yellowing progressively, cupping and dropping slowly. They are plagued with white flies, cottony cushion scale, brown or red scale, leaf miners, sooty mold and carpenter ants. At first I thought the yellowing was from a combination of nutrient deficiency and pests but now I suspect I have done at least half the damage myself by burying half the feeder roots under an extra layer of soil. I've applied horticultural oil twice now and its been warm so I'm not sure if that has caused or contributed to the leaf curl. Will the trees be able to adapt or do I need to implement drastic damage control tactics like pruning to equalize leaf/root ratio and removing the extra soil or adding breather pipes for the buried feeders. Would appreciate any advice as I am a newbee gardener with very little practical experience.

Comments (6)