SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottfsmith

Durable tree tags, redux

Scott F Smith
13 years ago

Getting a tree tag to last 10-20 years is not easy and there have been regular discussions of the topic here. I used in-ground tines but the frost pulled them out and they rusted. My aluminum tags on the trees themselves often broke off (the wire coming with them is too thin) or the tree swallowed it by growing over it, or there is no good place to hang it if the tree is big.

In looking into it I am now thinking I will try the kind of tags described on the page below: use a long plastic cable tie which will allow the tree to grow around it but still keep the tag from getting engulfed. Apparently forestry professionals out west are using this now. For the tags themselves I was going to use those cheap aluminum tags, I have some of those that are getting pretty old and the tags themselves still seem to be doing fine (only the attachment is the problem). Or maybe there is some slightly more durable kind of metal tag I can emboss with a pen? I don't want to cut up aluminum cans, too many trees to label.

Anyway, other good ideas for 10-20 year tree tags which won't get buried in the growth and don't cost a fortune are appreciated.

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: tree tagging

Comments (13)