SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homegrown55

Echo 2 Stroke Compression

homegrown55
12 years ago

Hi sports fans: I have a 21cc Echo chrome-plated cylinder off an older SRM-1501 Trimmer. I installed a new ring. Old ring end-gap was .030. New factory ring end-gap is .007. Compression has been tested to be 95psi. This has been the reading on 2 different cylinders (both "used") that I have. The engine will NOT start. It pops on occasion with an old plug (new coil installed). With a new plug and the new coil, it doesn't even "pop". Flywheel key has been checked and is OK. Do I need to hone the cylinder? If so using what EXACT tool, a brake cyliner hone, a flex ball hone or what type: aluminum oxide etc. Will honing (deglazing) the cylinder increase the compression and the ability for the engine to start and run? Can a chrome -plated aluminum cylinder even be honed to produce a "cross-hatch"? It has a Rebuilt carb, decarbed engine, new plug, new coil, new ring. I haven't been able to do a crankcase vacuum test. A Spark tester verified spark. So, 2 stroke experts....can you help me out here?

Comments (27)