SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twolabs_gw

Lesco Alternative? Ever heard of Grasshopper?

twolabs
13 years ago

Hello all. A few days back I posted a question about sodding our yard with tifway bermuda and whether or not it was doable for a husband/wife/friend team. I had some good responses, and wound up hiring a crew to install...and I think (know) it was a great decision. 40 pallets! Anyway, my water bill is probably going to be equivalent to my mortgage this month (watering all 10 stations 3 times a day at 25 min a piece). But its all green, except for a few spots.

Anyway, my main question is about fertilizer. I've read the Bermuda Bible and the nearest Lesco is over an hour from me. I wouldn't mind going and loading up on some fertilizer for the season, but i'm pretty sure that would raise eyebrows and probably won't even let you do that. So, i've been looking at some alternatives. We do have a Lowes and Home Depot nearby, but just by google I came across Grasshopper fertilizer. Couldn't find anything on a search on the board, so I thought i'd ask. It looks like it is mainly geared towards ranchers/pastures but the ratios look similar to what Texas Weed recommends. Here are is the info from their website:

30-8-10, 25lb bag, Derivatives: Urea, Ammonium Phosphate, Potassium Sulfate $48 a bag

19-19-19, 25lb bag, Derivatives: Urea, Ammonium Phosphate, Potassium Sulfate Unknown price

42-0-0, 25lb bag, Derivatives: Urea w/ Micronutrients $46 a bag

Their headquarters is in our town and sell to individuals, so it would be very convenient. I could use the 30-8-10 for the first and last application and the 42-0-0 every 4-6 weeks during the growing season? I know the ratios aren't exactly what the BB recommends, but what do you think?

http://www.grasshopperfertilizer.com/index.html

Comments (7)