SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brizzyintx

New St. Augustine Sod 'Thatch'

brizzyintx
16 years ago

Hello, everyone. This is my first post to this forum. I love the site, and all the information I've learned.

With all the rain we were having in Texas this year, I thought it would be a great opportunity to resod the front yard and not spend a fortune on water to get it established. I may have had too much of a good thing. It's been about two months since the sod was laid, and I have several areas where up to approximately 40% has died.

I'm not real familiar with St. Augustine since I lived my whole life in Michigan until last year. My neighbor, who is more knowledgable than I am, says that this isn't uncommon for St. A. (I can't remember his explanation.) I think it simply got too much water. Overall, 80% of the lawn looks great.

The spots that died out basically look like clumps of thatch. Last night, I noticed that beneath this layer of "thatch" is tons of beautiful new growth - stolons are shooting through this stuff every which way. Huge relief!

My question is this: Should I attempt to rake up the thatch, or should I let nature take its course?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I really appreciate everyone here on the forum.

Comments (13)