SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edcarrollton

Dead Lawn Boy 8232 and dying 8237

edcarrollton
17 years ago

I have a Lawn Boy 8232 that I bought used in 1978 that has only had yearly plug change, air filter change and blade sharpening all these years. I used it until 2002 when it failed to start with a new plug. I hung it on the wall and pressed my DadÂs Lawn Boy 8237 into service that I inherited when he passed 5 years ago. Now the 8237 has gotten very hard to start.

My questions are:

Is either of these mowers known to be superior to the other as far as engine "ease of repair"? Both are in good condition with starting being the "only" known problem.

Is it worth the cost and effort to revive these great old Lawn Boys?

Given the fact that other than the plug, air filter and sharpening annual maintenance I have never had to do any work on either of these mowers. I hate to give them up and am willing to attempt renovation of one or both mowers rather than going for a new "blade stopping" heavy non-alloy deck 4 cycle.

My uneducated guess is that I have carburetor problems on both mowers since both have spark.

Is a carburetor rebuild a reasonable project for a novice?

Are there other considerations for "hard to start" and "no start" on a Lawn Boy with spark?

Any thoughts?

Ed

Carrollton, TX

Comments (3)