SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kayan_gw

Choosing an Apple Tree for Kids

kayan
14 years ago

My cousin wants a small-fruit bearing Fuji for her kids, so I thought I'd ask around to find out if first of all it exists at all. I did a little research and it seems like Fujis take a while before bearing fruit and get really tall. I also didn't find anything about dwarf Fujis. Even if there were shorter trees, would they produce smaller fruit?

She wants small fruits for her pre-schoolers so I thought of Pippins, but I remember being told that they were difficult to grow, and I'm not sure the taste necessarily parallels that of a Fuji.

I think the ideal tree would be pretty compact, as it would go in a small suburban yard in San Leandro, CA. (Perfect if the boughs were short enough that kids can pick the fruits off of daddy's shoulders. :) I would want small toddler-hand sized fruits that are sweet and crunchy off the tree. It also needs to be relatively easy to maintain, as the parents have their hands full with the kiddies already.

I know the criteria are very specific but anything close enough would be great. Many thanks to anyone who can suggest varieties- I'll gladly do the research myself. :)

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!