SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerzone4

Need tips to increase germination for overseeding

gardenerzone4
12 years ago

I just bought Hogan's Blend of NTEP top performing fescues to overseed my Nebraska lawn. In the past, I've had very poor grass germination, so I asked the Hogan's guy how to ensure germination. He says that if my lawn is not compacted (and it isn't), I shouldn't aerate, since grass seeds that fall into the aerated holes are useless as they need to be within the top 1/4 inch of soil. But he did suggest that I dethatch first to increase seed-to-soil contact. He also said to target 9/15 for my overseeding (Nebraska) and to water 1/4 inch every morning to help germination.

Do you agree with these tips? Do you have other advice on getting good germination? Should I rent a dethatcher or buy an attachment for the riding mower? Are there dethatchers that pick up the thatch as they go so you don't have to rake it up afterwards? I have 20,000 sqft and I'd rather not rake if I don't have to.

Last fall, we aerated, then seeded, then applied compost, and got poor results. We rented a slice seeder this spring and also got poor results. That was with box store Pennington's seed mixture, so don't know if buying professional NTEP seeds will make a difference in germination. But would appreciate your expert advice.

Comments (2)