SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
handyman67_gw

Lawn brown up and commercial lawn service

handyman67
13 years ago

I have a client that I have been doing landscaping for for the past 6 years, mostly small projects each year, as well as maintenance on the landscape(pruning/weeding/mowing the lawn) and over the past 3 years since this client has been using a commercial lawn service for weed control etc, I have noticed a gradual decline of the lawn in general, browns up easily and despite weed control provided by the lawn care service, the weeds love the yard.

The soil of the entire yard is light buff/tan in color, extremely compacted, rocky, and from what I can tell, extremely nutrient poor.

Walking on the lawn feels like walking on concrete thats had sod laid over it.

The lawn has been core aerated a few times over the past 3 years with over seeding done afterwards. But the service does not put down any organic matter after core aeration.

I feel that because of the extremely poor quality of the soil and the chemical fertilizers used on the lawn over the past 3 years that the grass has become dependent on the fertilizers from the lawn service for its nutrient needs because of the nutrient poor soil.

My thoughts are that if you have very poor quality soil and nothing is done to improve the quality of the soil, then your looking at lifelong application of chemical fertilizers just to keep the lawn on its last legs indefinitely.

I've considered suggesting to my client somewhat aggressive core aeration followed by applying organic matter to the lawn and over seeding multiple times during the growing season for the next 2-5 years if not longer until the soil quality improves.

Any suggestions less drastic than tearing the lawn up completely & seriously amending the soil and then laying down new sod?

Comments (5)