SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrisexv6

Looking at used Lawnboy....

chrisexv6
16 years ago

Just wondering what things I should be looking for on a used Lawnboy (or any mower for that matter).

Found a model 10515 that is supposedly in good condition, going to check it out tomorrow. Read the few threads on could find on here, just wanted to get as much info as I could before I went to take a look.

Thanks!

-Chris

Comments (20)

• rdaystrom
    16 years ago

I like that model. It has the "F" engine on a cast deck with 3 speed transmission and the late model wheel clutches for easy backing. What to check... Look at the air filter assembly to make sure it is in place and hasn't been sucking raw air. Check the deck for major rock damage like cracks or chunks knocked out. Start it and feel for excessive vibration or engine noise. Run it through all the gears to make sure they all pull. Mow some grass to make sure it has power to do the job. Look for obvious broken or missing parts. The "F" engine has the signature boat engine sound. Thats a good model if it's in good shape. Not many around. Let us know how it comes out. Good luck.

• indy452
    16 years ago

The 10515 is in my opinion to be one of the best lawnmowers ever mass produced, especially if the one you are looking at has the metal carb.

When you look at it it should have good resistance on the starter cord when you engage the bail and pull the rope.
    These should start within two or three pulls at most. The three speed transmission should be tight and engage in all gears. Belt should be inspected also for wear.
    Tires should still have some traction and will tell you if it has high hours also if they are worn and wobbly.

Most 10515's are ten or more years old now and cosmetic condition will tell alot about the kind of care it recieved by the seller.
    Heres a pic of one of my favorite 10515's

{{gwi:137806}}

• Related Discussions

Used Parts For Lawnboy Model 10515

Q

Comments (4)
    Well I found some cable the same size as the cable used for the cable drive system. I have not put it on yet and will have to use some cable clamps on the ends. As for the rear wheels, I assume the rubber is worn out/off? If so, as I recall, new wheels cost about $35 ea!! I think if you look, you will see about 4 rivets that hold the gear to the plastic wheel. Drill those out, remove the gear and use small bolts to attach the gear to regular $7 wheels as used in this series non self-propelled mowers. I have those spare parts but need to keep them for myself. Walt Conner
    ...See More

Lawn-Boy Iron Horse & Power Products new & used parts

Q

Comments (1)
    Will do.
    ...See More

Advice on used purchase Lawnboy 10335

Q

Comments (2)
    That mower is between five and eight years old so it could last another decade or be toast tommorow depending on the previous owners care. Be sure the transmission works easy and is not stiff to pull backwards etc. Clean under the belt cover and remove any clippings. It should start within two or three pulls cold. Look at the spark plug, that can tell you alot about the engine. Find a chart and compare the plug end to the chart and decide if its in normal range. If you like a nice nimble machine you will like the lawnboy for sure. $75 is a descent price. Neal
    ...See More

Looking for Adapter plate to Mount Tecumshey Engine on Lawnboy

Q

Comments (6)
    It's easy enough to fab up an adaptor plate at home. The problem is getting the blade height correct. I am playing around right now with a 20 hp Briggs V-twin mounted on an older alum. LawnBoy deck. Same problem though, blade height plus I have a keyed shaft issue. If you can get the blade height right it should work fine.
    ...See More
  • chrisexv6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the advice! And the pics, nice to know what I should be looking at :)

Just talked to the seller, says it has at most 20 hours on it. Sounds like it might be a diamond in the ruff. Going to check it out on Wed night. Will report back after that.

-Chris

• indy452
    16 years ago

Wow only 20 hrs! Sounds like a nice find. That one in the picture I would estimate at around 1000 hrs.
    It is also on its second set of piston rings and second rear drive shaft and bushings, second belt and second set of wheels but in descent shape otherwise.
    This one has the original metal Walboro carb with no rebuild kit other than a gasket.
    I hope the one you are looking at has a metal carb as the plastic ones are O.K but they can warp under hot conditions.

If you keep the machine clean and use seafoam in the fuel/oil mix you can get years of trouble free service from a strong lawnboy engine like these "F" series engines in the 10515's.
    Good luck on the decision.

Heres a pic of the metal carb for reference.

Neal
    {{gwi:137807}}

• chrisexv6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the even more info :)

Question - the seller is asking 170. What would be a fair offer if its in good shape? Checking out some other forums, people are mentioning 75-100 range for the mower even if its in decent shape, because of age and cost of possible replacement parts.

The guy said its been sitting, I was in a rush and didnt ask how long, left him another message saying I need it to run when I get there otherwise its not even worth the drive (about 50 miles from home).

-Chris

• walt2002
    16 years ago

"Question - the seller is asking 170. What would be a fair offer if its in good shape? Checking out some other forums, people are mentioning 75-100 range for the mower even if its in decent shape, because of age and cost of possible replacement parts."

I have seen them sell mostly over $200 on eBay and nice ones much higher, $500 range. I have a well used one that is mechanically sound I would not take less that $200 for.

Parts? I don't see a problem for many years. Lawn Boy has tremendous interchangeability.

Walt Conner

• indy452
    16 years ago

Offer him $150 and go from there. For 150 you could be getting some cheap chineese junk sold at W-mart that will last two years with descent care. Remember though it is ten or more years old if its a true 10515.

Parts are available and will be for many years most likely.

"F" engines were produced from around 78-79 thru 97-98ish, so plenty of engine parts new and old.

Like I said earlier, good care will yield good service.

Go to this link and type in 10515 and note the serial number years and look at the schematics while you are there.

When you go look, the model tag is located under the handle controls panel.

Neal

Here is a link that might be useful: Toro parts viewer

• chrisexv6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again guys.

Ive been to the Toro manuals site, looks like the easiest way to pick off what year it was is to check the HP rating. Started at 4HP in 1993, went up .5HP each year of 94 and 95, finishing at 5HP. Ill keep the serial numbers handy too.

Hopefully she starts up.......Ive been told its been sitting, I told the seller if he cant get it to start it might just be wasting both our times for me to drive the 50 miles and see it. I guess that could be good or bad, maybe it will turn into a huge steal if it doesnt fire up? We'll see.

Thanks as always.

-Chris

• rms899
    16 years ago

If it doesn't fire up, it doesn't mean it isn't worth having.

Against my better judgement I picked up an M series M21ZMRD a few weeks ago for $10. When I went to look at it, I found out the guy that was selling it was a lawnmower repair guy. It had spark and decent compression, but he couldn't fix it! I thought I was wasting my money, but I figured I could part it out , at least.

I brought it home, took the gas tank off (found water). Took the (Mikuni) carb apart- cleaned the jets of gunk.
    It runs fine - has good compression. Now I need to fix the worn out wheels and I'll have a keeper.

Rick

• echoman
    16 years ago

Why was it against "your better judgement" for only $10? You could have made 10x that parting it out, but now you have a good mower it sounds. Glad it worked out for you! It seems strange a "quality" mower repairman wouldn't have checked the fuel system during the trouble shooting. You have one of the later produced mowers according to the model number you posted. Hope it serves you well. They cut wonderful with more than ample power.

• chrisexv6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I agree there is something to be said in not letting one go just because it doesnt start up. But his price is sorta high for a 10 year old mower if it doesnt start. if it starts, runs well and cuts decent, then sure its worth it (looking at sears cheapo mowers I cant even get a non-propelled mower for 170).

Plus I have a wife yelling in my ear about buying used equipment. Her solution? New Ariens LM21SW and a new engine for my Bolens tractor. If the Lawnboy works out, the lawnboy + new engine for the tractor comes in less than the Ariens mower alone.

-Chris

• rms899
    16 years ago

Echoman-

It's just that I have LOTS of projects and this could have turned into something that just sat until my widow threw it away. But, this time I think I got lucky. The lawnmower dude said he cleaned the carb ( I think he just dipped it, didn't take it apart)but didn't spend much time on it. I already "invested" a weekend on it, and it runs but doesn't drive yet.

Personally , I am pretty new to Lawnboys and am pretty impressed- but I would be reluctant to spend over $100 on one. I see them on ebay as "classics" but .....

Then again- is a '69 Roadrunner worth $30K???

Rick

• echoman
    16 years ago

I hear you Rick on the "projects" stuff. I gave $25 for mine, and all it needed was new coil, and is in very good condition other than a few paints scratches/chips here and there. Mechanically it's in great shape. These mowers as you're aware aren't the lightest LB ever produced, so I can understand you wanting to get the drive system in order. You have any idea what the problem is? A stripped wheel pinion gear maybe? From what I've read/heard, the transmissions hold up pretty well, it's the drive wheels/gears that need attention at times.

• rms899
    16 years ago

Ok- I'm going to start a new thread. I have stolen poor Chris's -sorry.

• gaatooor
    16 years ago

Heck I never want them to start when I go to look at them. If its not running its all the more reason for me to go look at it. Especially when it is something of this caliber. I would go and get it and have it not running. Non runners usually will sell cheaper than runners. I always hate when they start. Then the guy wants more. Odds are with a little of your time and some cleaning it will be running in no time.

• indy452
    16 years ago

I agree gaatoor, Thats how I get so many of the machines I've had. I buy them non-running for next to nothing then fix them clean them up and sell or trade them.
    I've never bought a 10515 for more than twenty bucks. I've gotten several of them with shelled mills and some with no compression some with bad CD packs.

Makes working on them fun.

Neal

• chrisexv6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it :) ) the seller said it fired right up and ran like a top. Going to see it tonight in person.

-Chris

• chrisexv6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well I pulled the trigger!

Started on the first pull. I cut with it and it didnt even flinch (wasnt high grass, but there was some to cut nonetheless). You can tell this machine was babied and used very little....the wheels look new, there is some paint scraped off the deck on the offset wheel side, like it was brushed up against a belgian block. Any good sources for matching paint?

Its a 94 model, so it has the 4.5HP engine. METAL CARB (woohoo :) ). Drives so nice I dont even need anything other than 1st gear....2nd was a jog, 3rd seemed downright too fast. Also came with a new set of cables (self propel and operate).

I tried bargaining but it was clear he had done his homework and there were other offers similar to mine, so I ended up just giving him his asking price. I couldnt get anything close to this for 170.

The seller was a "car guy"....works for the IHRA, has a classic car, etc. Told me all the maintenance he did on it (squirting oil in the cylinder before winter storage, etc), had a list of things that were done to it over the years (all basic maintenance except for the coil pack being replaced in 2002).

I dont think it qualifies as a "steal", but for my needs its perfect....runs and cuts without having to fix anything to get it up and running (Im still dealing with my broken down tractor, at least I have a reliable mower to use in its place).

Thanks for all the help and advice. Ill get some pics up as soon as I can.

-Chris

• rms899
    16 years ago

Chris-

Congratulations. I know you will like it as I did my 10323 It took me about 2 weeks to find my SECOND LB.....

Rick

• indy452
    16 years ago

Hey it sounds like you did allright then. Those cables are friggin expensive so now you have some spares just in case you get the Lawnboy fever and start buying others just for the heluvit.

The paint match which is close would be Grabber green from plasticote I think. I've gotten it in the automotive section at walmart before.

Enjoy the new toy.

Neal