SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hereistay

What varieties of Pecans to buy for Italy?

hereistay
9 years ago

Hello everyone!
I live in Center Italy, near Pescara at about 10km from the shore.
I would like to plant some Pecan trees because I love their nuts.
I would like to grow up some Pecan trees for my family.
I found a nursery in Italy that sells Pecan trees at good price so I'd like to buy a couple of plants.
I would ask to you if you can help me to choice the varieties.
I can choose among Kiowa, Cheyenne, Shoshoni and Cape Fear.
I'm watching the pollination schemes of these varieties.
I know that Cape Fear and Cheyenne are type I, Kiowa and Shoshoni are type II.
I tought that the best choice was Cape Fear+Cheyenne because the times of pollen shed and receptivity are almost the same.
According to Kiowa I thought to don't choose it because the pollen shed is beyond receptivity.
But I read that Cheyenne is not a good cultivar because it is a brittle tree and it makes low quality nuts and that Cape Fear and a Kiowa are used in orchards.
But I read also that Cape fear is subject to scab and also its nuts are of low quality.
About Shoshoni I read that it also makes low quality nuts.
So I don't know if I have to buy Cheyenne+Kiowa,
Cheyenne+Cape Fear or Kiowa+Cape Fear.
So I cannot make the point.
What can you tell me about it?
What's the best couple?
Here in my place we have a temperated climate.
We have a not very hot summer with max temperature of about (30�-35�C. 86�-95�F) and not very cold winter with min temperature of about (-2�C -3�C, 28.4�-26.6�F) the last frost is usually in February and during winter we could have a bit of snow.
I don't really know the last lower temperature we had, but according to web weather datas I can tell that we use to have a heavy frost and lower temperature every 10 years and I read the lowest temperature of -6�C (21.1�F) some years ago.
We use to sultivate grapes for wine, olives and Mediterranean fruits but we grow up also lemons, oranges and tangerines and they make good fruits (not like Sicilian ones but they are good).
According to usda zone this should be a 9a or 9b zone and according to Koppen this is a Cfa.
We have a not very low relative humidity.
I would like to plant Pecans in a medium texture soil qith 7ph (probably it could be a little bit clayey) in full Sun (faced to south/south-east).
I would like to know what do you think about it and if is possible to have a sort of manual of cultivation where to learn about Pecan cultivation, watering, fertilization, pruning, pest and diseases!

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!