SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snowieal

Gang Reel Mower Question

snowieal
16 years ago

I have 3+ acres of grass to cut and I presently use a ride-on mower with a 42 inch cut. It occurs to me that I could do a better job and reduce the cutting time by pulling a gang mower behind my lawn tractor. (And at the same time reduce exhaust emmisions, save gas, the environment etc etc.) I have looked at the ProMow but have been put off by other users as not being a sturdy enough unit, requiring constant maintenance, TLC etc. I don't have a great deal of cash to spend either and have seen for sale a 3 gang mower set by Toro with 30 inch wide reels (used). The dealer tells me that I would need at least 30 horsepower to pull this equipment and I only have 22 on my machine. I don't really believe him - Question is, does anyone know what horsepower is required to pull a rig like this or per reel ? I only know that the model of the Toro is identified with a sticker "Model 782". It presently has a 3 point hitch that I would discard to make my own (lighter) hitch for coupling with a ball hitch. I have photos if anyone can help.

Comment (1)