SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jumpinjimmyb

Reel mower performance expectations

jumpinjimmyb
15 years ago

Green is good, but not at the expense of my lawn looking like it hasn't been cut.

I've been looking at some "touch-free" reels lately mostly Sunlawn branded. When I use them, I need to go over the same areas three or four times before most of the stragglers are finally cut! Does this make sense? I've adjusted these properly, but who would ever accept this type of performance?

I love the idea of having a touch-free reel mower because the sharpening interval is like 15 years. But if it doesn't cut the grass, then what's the point?

I've read in these forums that no matter what type of reel you have you really have to stay on top of your mowing, meaning cut often. My question is this: How often? Every other day? Twice a week? Do the reels that actually come in contact with the cutting bar cut grass better than the Sunlawns???

I wonder if this resurgance in reel mower purchases is simply a fad? Are we so concerned with saving gas, pollution and reducing the strain on our ears so much that we plunk down $ for one of these reels and then realize we were sold a false bill of goods? Will those people buying reels now really go ahead and sharpen them at the recommended interval, and then when it reaches the end of it's useful life buy another reel? Or will they go back to good old gas powered rotaries?

I have nothing against reels. I'd love to use one, but my yard is a little too big. I'm simply trying to get perspective on what's happening here and what reel (get it?) life experiences are in using these things.

I've read the "I love my new reel mower" string on this forum, but I wonder if the positive experience is an exeption or the norm??

Thanks to all,

jim

Comments (27)