SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fabaceae_native

first taste of seaberry (Hippophae): awesome!

fabaceae_native
12 years ago

Last year I found some huge old seaberry bushes (actually small picturesque trees -- I'll try to post a pic here at some point) in town, and finally got around to harvesting some berries yesterday. The following is my report on this for those who might be interested...

HARVESTING:

I quickly found that the berries were pretty tenacious, and it would have taken forever to stand there and strip off what I needed, so instead I did what I had read about with this plant -- pruned a few fruit-laden branches to take home.

FRESH EATING:

I tried a few berries right off the plant -- they were very tart, and had a strange scent to them. I was starting to question the hype about this plant, but I decided to persevere and process the berries anyway.

PROCESSING THE BERRIES:

Once home I spent quite some time stripping the berries off the branches, which was hindered because of the leaves still there, and the occasional spine. I made it through about half of my harvest, and decided to put the remaining branches into the freezer for later, which supposedly loosens the berries to the point that they can be shaken off (we'll see how that works in a few days).

I ended up with 2 cups of berries, which I washed thoroughly, then mixed with water to make 8 cups of liquid in the blender. I then added a 1 cup sugar to sweeten (later realized this could have been somewhat less).

THE JUICE:

The resulting juice was surprisingly delicious, and I can now understand why it is THE orange juice in many parts of Eastern Europe and Asia. The scent is very reminiscent of citrus orange juice, and the color is somewhat similar as well. The taste is more reminiscent of peach nectar, with nice citrusy acidity. It is apparently much more nutritious than citrus orange juice, being more in the category of a "super-food".

CONCLUSION:

I was pleasantly surprised that seaberry juice from a plant of no particular cultivar grown as an ornamental could be so delicious. Here is a beautiful, cold-hardy, drought-tolerant, nitrogen-fixing honey-plant that could provide the temperate world with a substitute for citrus orange juice! Oh yeah, and it sells for something like $35 dollars per quart online!

Comments (15)