SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pam29011

How much to water new seeds?

12 years ago

I apologize in advance, I've searched in the archives because I know this question is answered in here, but I've been unable to find the answer.

We are trying to start a lawn at the worst time of the year (now) and I've been running the sprinklers 2x per day for 15-20 min each. We're using impulse sprinklers.

When I get home from work, the ground is mostly dry on the very surface. Should I be watering more deeply in the morning? Or watering midday?

In case you're wondering, "What kind of moron starts a lawn in July?" ...We had the backyard graded recently

We have a white mutt & were hoping to get something started before mud season in the fall

We bought the coated water-smart seed from Scotts (highest priced seed I could talk DH into). Worst case, we get our money back & try again in the fall.

We did the raking, starter fertilizer, and seed over the long weekend. So I know grass shouldn't be growing yet, but I keep reading to keep it moist but does that mean "always wet" or "frequently wetted"?

Thanks in advance for any advice, this is our first lawn. Here is a picture of the area we're tackling (about 20k square feet). I wetted the ground around the trees to think about how big to make that bed (bigger). When I get home from work the ground is not as dry as the pale stuff, but not as dark as the wetted area you see here.

{{gwi:40597}}

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living