SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greatlakesmower

The Snapper 'Dealer' Experience

greatlakesmower
17 years ago

I bought a Snapper walk-behind from a dealer out in a rural area about 10 miles from my home. I knew about him because he was the only person for miles around still selling snow blowers in January of 2005 when we were getting record breaking snow out here in Southeast Michigan. I wanted to go with Snapper mower because of a recommendation from a family member in another state, so I went back to him.

When I went there to buy the mower, I discovered that I knew more about the walk behinds than he did, and all I did was check out the Snapper website. He confessed to me that his bread and butter was in the zero turns from other brands, and he kept about four dusty old Snappers around but did not make much money off of them. As a result, he did very little to study up on them.

Several months later, I bought a bag kit from a Snapper dealer on line through eBay. Good experience, but he did not have a plug for the chute to sell me as well. Rather than go back to the first dealer, I drove 15 miles to the next closest one. He had a used plug to sell me, but I noticed not one Snapper mower in the entire shop even though he is considered a dealer.

How is Snapper making their money? With Toro, I can find at least 3 dealers within 10 miles that have plenty of current mowers to shop. If my neighbor wanted to buy the latest Snapper, I am not even sure where I could tell him to go. I can understand their avoidance of the Wal-Mart channel, but I would hardly consider their dealer network a worthy channel either. I wonder if Briggs is going to come up with a different strategy for Snapper.

Comment (1)