SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bhartwell_gw

Thinning, and Dieing off

bhartwell
14 years ago

We purchased a home in La Canada, CA 1 year back.

The front lawn was put in just before our purchase, standard SOD, from what we can see. The lawn is often shaded, getting sun in the late afternoon and early mornings. Lawn area has a number of oaks around it, very common for this area.

12 months later, the SOD is thin and almost gone in some areas. We have two questions:

1. We have a gopher problem that has caused real havoc. They are far more destructive then I would have thought. We have been placing poison in the burrows, but they keep coming back. Any suggestions on a good treatment to keep these pests away? The Local nursery has a castor oil spray they say works better then poison, I am not so sure and do not want to kill off any more of my lawn then is already damaged.

2). Thinning and Fungus. The second big issue is the sod not damaged by gophers is thinning and dyeing. We noticed green fungus in some areas and were advised to water less frequently but for a longer duration. On that advice, we switched to watering every third day and 6 min per watering station. The result was more brown spots.

Would appreciate any thoughts on how/if this lawn can be repaired or do we need to simply look at starting over?

Comment (1)