SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barryguy

Craftsman Self-Propelled Design Flaw

barryguy
15 years ago

May 12, 2008 I bought a Craftsman 6.75 front-wheel self-propelled mower from Sears.

By the end of June I noticed the left front wheel wasn't turning as well as the right wheel when the drive was engaged. I removed the wheel and found that the ring of plastic teeth inside the wheel was being eaten up by the metal sprocket wheel with which it engages when in self-propel mode.

Seems like a serious design flaw. I mow every week and may have discovered this self-destruct feature sooner than others who mow less. The machine was noticably impaired after 4-6 weeks. My self-propelled mower is quickly becoming a push-mower only. Ever hear of this??

Sears would like to replace the plastic wheel (so would I if I were them!). I'm considering a full refund return (allowable within 90-days; not sure if they'll try a 15% restock charge). The wheels will need replacement at least once a year. And I'm sure they won't supply any free after 90-days.

The machine was well over $300, but I got it on sale for about $270. Thought it was a good deal. Think again.

I like the mower, but hate this unacceptable self-propel design flaw. Will probably bring it back, but then what?

Your thoughts??

Comments (21)