SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
i_am_canadian

Please Help Me Choose A Self-Propelled Mower

17 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I am going to buy my parents a new mower - they are currently using a 20+ year-old Craftsman mower that is unfortunately rusting away.

I am looking at a self-propelled model because they are getting up there in age, and our house is built on a double-lot, and I figure they will be able to take advantage of a self-propelled unit.

I was looking at a Honda 3 speed mower or the Toro Super Recycler 20054 mower.

My first question is about the transmissions on these mowers - are they serviceable, or would I have to buy a complete unit? I have read some reviews on the Hondas and some people have had trouble with the transmissions - I have tried calling up local Honda dealers who tell me none of their customers ever had problems with them. I priced out a new Honda transmission, and they cost over $100.00, less installation. I am not sure about the TORO model.

My second question is about those of you who have either model or brand - have you had problems with the transmissions? If so, could you please elaborate?

The Toro has an aluminum deck - anyone have any likes/dislikes about them? What about Toro's 5 year warranty? How is Toro's personal pace system?

This is the only lawnmower forum I could find online, and rather than talk to a salesperson at a local dealer who will try and sell me any product they carry, I thought I would put these questions out to you kind folks who actually own and use these models, or similar models.

I thank you in advance for your time, and any input would be welcomed, as I am confused as to which model I should buy.

Mark

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting