SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlnorthga

John Deere JS-45 Self-propelled mower

jlnorthga
15 years ago

The lawn mower was easy to "assemble" (take off a couple of bolts and put them back on).

1st impressions - after 3 hours of mowing, maybe I should have gotten a tractor :). The 190 CC B&S engine is powerful enough. John Deere claims that this is a "high torque" model and that it has more power to the blade than any of their other walk behind mowers. I had the cutting height set at ~ 3.2" (so they say) - I was cutting through small trees (poplar, mimosa, etc) and brush quite easily. The front wheels are on casters - one of the front wheels can be locked. This makes turning very easy (even with one wheel locked).

The "MowMentum" drive - I'm not sure about it. The drive speed control works by pivoting the end of the handle up. I had set the handle in the highest position. Maybe I should have set it in the middle position. It is somewhat awkward to pivot the handle. But then again, the idea is that the lawn mower is not dragging you along. As I said, I'm not sure about it. It is capable of going pretty fast though.

I have it set on side discharge (where it will stay), so I can't say anything about the rear bagging properties (or the mulching).

It seems to be a reasonable mower with good power to the blade. The only thing that I am uncertain about is the MowMentum drive.

Comment (1)