SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daryl_j_gw

Best self-propelled mower with side discharge?

daryl_j
16 years ago

We need your advice on buying a new (or good used) mower. The old Lawn Boy push mower has just about given up the ghost, so we're in the market for another walk behind mower. This time, we want to try a self-propelled model. From past experience, we would like to stay with a well designed aluminum deck with a side discharge. Are there any stamped aluminum decks being made anymore?

As for engine, while a 2 cycle would be great to have again, although they are probably no longer being manufactured. So, that would leave no choices but a 4 cycle. For durability, I read that the Honda GX series or a Kawasaki would be the best choice for 4 cycle. Would you agree? While a new mower would be nice, I do have an opportunity to buy a low-hour used John Deere JX75 for $300. But, the side-discharge is a contraption that fits in front of the operator's feet and shoots the grass up and out to the side. Does this feature really work all that well? I'm accustomed to the old push Lawn Boy that shoots the clippings from the front corner directly to the side...which I like. What do you suggest? Thanks in advance for good advice you can share!

Comments (5)