SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amazer98

Snapper Hi-Vac has poor cutting quality

amazer98
14 years ago

I'm new to GardenWeb and this is my first post, so any feedback on my little problem would be very welcome.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Snapper Hi-Vac walk-behind mower (P21875BV) with a decent B&S Intek engine. I like the mower OK, seems solid, and I like the fact that the transmission is mounted outside the mower deck, which makes it accessible.

I had to junk a 6 year old Honda Harmony that was in good shape except for the fact that the tranny had seized and fixing it would cost close to $300. Even the repair shop said it wasn't worth fixing since there was a lot of labor to replace the tranny since it was wedged in the corner of the mowing deck.

Anyways, my problem with the Snapper is that the grass cutting evenness is really bad. I've tried both the Ninja mulching blade, and more recently, the Hi-Vac blade using the bag.

The Ninja gave really bad cutting quality (a 1 on a scale of 10) and the Hi-Vac blade rates maybe a 3. The grass gets cut, but there seem to be many stray longer blades, and even those that are cut seem quite uneven. In contrast, the Honda cut beautifully (I used on the twin mulching blades with that mower).

I mow at medium speed and make sure that all wheels are adjusted identically. Even when I slow to medium-slow, the results are the same-- crummy! Lately, I've been mowing in the middle of the 7 height settings. I am dumbfounded as to why the Snapper cuts grass so poorly.

Are those of you that are using Snappers happy with your cut quality? Have you found non-Snapper blades that perform better? Maybe I could use the Honda blades on my Snapper-- would that work?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Andy in NH

Comments (25)