SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevation

Granny Smith apples late this year, skin too hard

stevation
16 years ago

{{gwi:125565}}I have one Granny Smith apple tree, and for five years, it has produced just fine here in Utah Valley. I have had people say it's such a late apple that they didn't think it would do well here (they only told me that after I bought it!). Anyway, this year, it had a hard time ripening. I just picked these apples on Saturday this week, and they've been through several freezes. That's the latest I've ever waited to pick them, but I kept waiting because the skin has been too hard and bitter, so they didn't seem ripe. They grew to a nice size, and there is plenty of juice inside, but the flavor is a bit bland this time, too.

Could this (the tough skin and somewhat bland flavor) have been caused by unusual fall weather this year? We had once-a-week snowstorms starting in mid-September, but they were always brief, and the temps rose back up again right after each one. Then it warmed up a lot two weeks ago, so I just kept leaving them on the tree to see if the warmth would help. It did help some.

Alternatively, could this have been caused by some moderate spider mite damage to the leaves this year? The lower leaves got hit with the mites and turned a bit bronze, although the higher leaves were all right. I'm just thinking maybe the leaves' photosynthesis was impaired by the discoloration and the mites sucking some of the juice out of them. And maybe the tree didn't produce enough sugar because of that?

I did thin the apples pretty well in June, so I don't think it's because of overcrowding.

Comments (11)