SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaig_gw

Too late for planting apple trees?

kaig
16 years ago

Hi,

I decided I'd like to get some small fruit and fruit going in my backyard (I started doing a bit of vegetables two years ago and I've been at least semi-successful at that), and I have tons of questions...

Let's start with one: I'm thinking about planting two apple trees. My back yard is a pretty sloped away from the house lawn (not huge), which borders wetlands. Because of the slope I'd think drainage shouldn't be too much of a problem, though the soil is somewhat questionable. I'd describe it as silt, not really clay, with a lot of big rocks in it -- it's not the native soil from the site, I suppose, but some subsoil the developers trucked in from elsewhere. I don't think there's much if any organic material in there. The location should get about half day (morning) sun, i think.

Now I've been reading a bit and semi-dwarf or dwarf seems like a good idea. Not sure about varieties, I like golden delicious, and I think I should get another one for pollination, how about Gala?

Now the biggest problem seems to be where to get plants -- and I guess it'd have been better to plant them earlier? I've seen huge trees at Lowe's (cheap, too, $17), but they're already like 10 ft tools with not much low branching. I went to one nursery, they had smaller trees but only one variety. Also, those trees are already leafing out, while our last frost isn't until more than a month from now.

What to do? Can I mail order bare root trees? Where? Is it too late for this year? I'd like to start from small trees and take caring of shaping them (I have no experience, but I can follow directions, and the internet has a lot of info).

Comments (7)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor