SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hpj1926

bermuda mowing height

James Hogan
12 years ago

My lawn is made up of several varieties of common bermuda and tall fescue. I have given up on trying to maintain this summer/winter mix and I want to let the fescue die out and encourage the bermuda to spread.

Mohawk and Sahara (didn't know any better when I planted it) are two of the varieties of bermuda that I know are there, because I planted them.

Last time I mowed the lawn I lowered the cutting height to about 1.5 inches from about 2.5 inches. Now there are many areas where the brown/tan stems of the bermuda are showing.

I'm confused by some of the previous threads on this subject. Will the tan stems produce green leaves at this height or have I cut it too low? I also have quite a weed problem, including a bad infestation of Virginia buttonweed (brought in with a load of fill dirt), but it's too hot to apply herbicide now, which is why I'm trying to cut the weeds as low as possible so that the bermuda can eventually choke them many of the weeds out.

Should I fertilize now to encourage the bermuda to grow or will that just be soaked up by the weeds as well?

Comments (6)