SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jtyrie_gw

Honda mower problem

jtyrie
12 years ago

Sorry that this is going to be so long. I purchased a Honda HRX217HXA with the GCV190 motor late last year. I used new regular unleaded in it with Seafoam added. After 4 or 5 mowings, it began to have idling problems. When I put it on idle, it would die. Since it was so late in the season, I didn't worry about it. I took it in early this year and was told that I had used bad gas. The carb replacement was not covered under warranty. I couldn't argue with them because I didn't have any proof that the gas wasn't bad. The same gas didn't cause any problems with my 4 stroke edger or my 2 stroke blower and trimmer.

I got the mower back and, within 2 or 3 mowings, it started having problems again. Rough idle. I asked on here what to do and was basically told that it was normal for a Honda.

I have mowed with it for a few months now and it is displaying some distressing problems. In addition to the rough idle,it has been surging up and down pretty much the whole time. Sort of like if the governor was kicking in and out. Now, it is consuming a great deal of gas. It runs dry before I get my front lawn done. Before, I could almost mow my lawn twice on one tank. In addition, when it idles, puffs of black smoke come out. (By the way, I've eliminated a gas leak as the problem) I have used only brand new gas 93 octane as the dealer recommended and a brand new gas can.

I know it's under warranty but if I take it in this time of year, I won't see it again for minimum three weeks and I'm trying to renovate my lawn. If it's something simple like a carb adjustment, I'd rather do it myself. Any suggestions from the experts?

This is one time that I regret buying from a local dealer. If I'd bought it from a big box store, it'd already be returned for a full refund.

Comments (5)