SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neezle

Can these neglected blueberry bushes be revived?

9 years ago

Hi there!

Looking for some experienced thoughts on this:
We moved into a home last August that has a long-forgotten blueberry patch in the backyard. Its once well-built 2x4 & wire fencing had been destroyed by several trees growing up through the roof. The trees (2 Mulberry & a few others) are now maybe 20' tall, so clearly it's been a long time since anyone has taken a second glance at these plants.

Last week, I decided I'd had enough of this eyesore, and took to it with a power saw, some pruners, and muscle. Once I unburied the brush, I found what's left of the patch. Of the four 4-5' bushes, one was rotted at the roots & lifted right out of the ground, one is solid but bare of leaves, and two - much to my astonishment - have healthy, green leaves at the top!

I thinned the plants of obviously dead canes. The bare one has some reddish-brown branches in contrast to the gray, dead wood. So I left those, but don't expect much from that one. It'd be nothing short of a miracle if that one came back.

I also pruned back the trees, in hopes that more sunlight & air flow will reach the struggling plants.

Is there any hope of these big, once beautiful bushes bearing fruit again? I'm realistic - not thinking that next June I'll have buckets full - but I wonder if a few years out might be promising?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County