SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soonergirl1968

I think I've finally figured it out!

soonergirl1968
13 years ago

I hope I'm not speaking too soon, but I'm actually SUCCESSFULLY growing fescue in zone 7!! Yea!!

This is the third summer in my house (which sat vacant for 3 years prior to moving in) I have enormous oak trees which shade the entire back yard but I desperately wanted to have grass. I started with absolutely NOTHING, took it all down to the dirt and seeded fescue. Long story short... the first two seasons were not good. The grass would come out great and then about mid-May would be destroyed by brown patch.

I was told by MANY people I couldn't grow fescue here because of the heat, humidity and lack of sun in the yard. I studied & researched everything I could find and chose the most brown-patch resistant seed from the NTEP studies for my area. I have been applying Heritage G every 3-4 weeks since the beginning of April and have been watering much longer but less frequently than previous years. I have also been mowing twice a week and keeping the grass around 3".

I am so excited! I wish I could figure out how to post pictures here! Thanks to all those who offered advice!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012