SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sfhellwig

Removing Tecumseh rotary flywheel

13 years ago

This is addressing part two of my mower repair. I diagnosed and replaced the coil, only to find that the kill switch is now not disengaging. Of course it's under the flywheel and I can't clean it properly so the wheel needs to come off. In another thread I have already been warned against using a pulley puller and I understand why. The flywheel is pretty thin and would likely be damaged.

Several people have described the process of prying upward while striking the crank. While it works I am afraid mine may be pretty seized due to the age of the motor. I also don't want to damage the crank. I don't have a brass hammer or a knock off tool. I have seen described how to make a puller but wonder about threading the bolts. After pulling off the starter cup I found three holes that I assume would fit the puller. However the holes are smooth and untapped. The person that built their own puller said they used 1/4" self tapping bolts. Does this sound like a viable method? Any additions? It is simple fabrication and doesn't have to be heavy duty. Probably only be used once. Will the self tapping bolts damage the flywheel or is that what would be on the puller sold for this? I will likely pick up a few extra nuts to fashion a knock off tool also. I know if won't be the same but it would likely be better than striking the crank. I would rather do the puller anyway as I just don't feel comfortable hitting on any of the machine with too much force.

Comments (13)