SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

Container blueberries, fert question

rjinga
14 years ago

I've read many of the posts on fertilizing, and I guess for the most part it's assumed that these plants are in ground.

What about container blueberries. The primary reason they are in containers, is that I bought young plants to sell, many sold, but I still had 40+, most of these were the smaller plants.

I used an acid loving plant time released fert. I guess it's been about a month or so ago. JUST PRIOR to applying, I noticed a flush of growth on most of the plants, so I figured they are in growing mode, a little supplement will do them good.

IT HAS, I also had reddening leaves and they have all but gone away now. I need to top dress them with pine bark, which I will do soon.

So I have a few questions:

Q: how much longer should I give them fertilizer this year? And since I used a time released type, should I now use the liquid version? Unfortunately, I did not give them regular fertilizer, just kind of hit and miss. but they are no worse for the wear, and have shown some nice growth.

Q: how deep is enough for pine bark? What I have is relatively fine, but there are some good sized chunks in it too. does it hurt anything to be 3 or so inches deep? Most of my containers have I'd say minimally 2 inches to spare, some even more.

Comments (2)