SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
russellray

Most manoeuvrable petrol-driven 4-stroke walk-behind

russellray
13 years ago

Hello all

IÂm looking for a new petrol-driven 4-stroke walk-behind mower, probably but not definitely RWD self-propelled.

I mow approx 2500 m2. The very mixed surface ranges from even and uncluttered lawn to fairly rough and uneven orchard with tough, tufty grass and mole-hills. Here I have to manoeuvre round a lot of trees and other obstacles, using the mower at times almost like a strimmer or brushcutter clearing under hedges and pushing back wild blackberries invading from a neighbouring plot.

My present mower, a 2-stroke push-it-yourself Toro 223 is nearly 20 years old; it has done me good service but is no longer up to the job.

The new mower, I think, must be a real all-rounder :

Engine : preferably B+S Quantum OHV "ready start"

(least complicated and easiest maintenance, I think)

It should also run as quietly as possible;

I prefer mowing at low rpm rather than whining away full throttle.

Deck : Aluminium (non rusting)

Mulch / side discharge / bag collect

Width 48 or preferably 53 cm (19/21-inch)

Wheels preferably metal with ballbearings

Drive : RWD (rear wheel drive)

The drive is what I am unsure about.

I need a drive I can quickly and easily disengage or override. I need this flexibility not only in the horizontal plane, i.e. manoeuvring backward and forward in the many tight, awkward corners, but also in the vertical plane, because some of the apple trees are grafted on weak root stock and a self-propelled mower with high handles might wipe out some of the low branches.

My budget is top-level residential / entry-level commercial (maximum EUR 1000 all inclusive).

The John Deere JS63C with its caster front wheels seems very nifty and manoeuvrable - but I donÂt like the idea of a steel deck.

The Toro 20792/3 or 22156 might also fit the bill - but I donÂt know if it is suitable for squeezing back and forth round the tight corners and under the low branches.

Another candidate is the Hayter Ranger but I live in France and there donÂt seem to be any local distributors.

And there is always the Hayterette - but IÂm 63 now and would prefer not to do all the work myself.

Any ideas and suggestions please !

Best regards from Ray

Comments (2)