SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mnchuck

'88 Toro 20684 with Suzuki 2-cycle - governor failure

13 years ago

I have a 1988 Toro 20684 with the two cycle Suzuki engine. It started life as my dad's mower and for the last five years I have been fixing all the problems my dad let go. Recently my son went to my mom's to do the mowing. He called shortly after he got there and told me the engine was running way too fast. I instructed him on how to unstick the governor, but he said it was not stuck. I told him to get our mower and I would look later. When I did, I found that the throttle was pinned open. As the engine sped up, the governor made no attempt to slow it down. I thought something was disconnected, but it all looks right according to the drawings on the toro website. My questions to you are: What controls the governor lever on the side of the engine? If it fails, is the fix simple or does it take an engine teardown to get at? I think I can rig the throttle cable so I operate the throttle directly with no modulation from the governor, but then I will be fiddling with that the whole time I am mowing. I hope one of you can give me a "you silly boy, all you have to do is this." answer. Thanks for your help.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus