SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
philes21

Pictures related to Philes' poor re-seeding project.

philes21
16 years ago

Let me say this first: There is a SEPARATE THREAD, for discussion of these pics. Go find that thread, should you care to make a comment. Please don't hit "make a follow-up post on this thread".

The correct thread will be called "Philes' Project - Comments".

But it seems unfair that I monopolize all the bandwidth, for folks to have a discussion, by forcing people to re-load the same darn pictures, every time they read something posted: I won't do it. Look at the pics as often as you care to. But If you're done looking at them, comments will be over there, on the other thread, there won't be any comments over here. Thanks.

The history: the front yard needed a patch of Nimblewill killed out, and the whole back yard needed a good renovation. I decided to put in a mix of three seeds. One was Midnight II, I just don't remember the other two, I'll supply that later, should anyone care.

Armed with the seed, a bunch of seed (it's fairly high priced), I set my sights on Labor Day Weekend, 2006. That could not happen, as She Who Must Be Obeyed dictated that there was going to be a family function on that lawn, on that weekend, and that lawn was going to look gorgeous for said event, and I could just darn well start a weekend later. So it goes. Because of rain, I got started two weekends later. I've to an acre in the front, and an acre in the back, and fortunately, I decided to only do the back half of the back yard, which amounts to about a half an acre. Round-up. De-thatcher (which scours up the dead grass, and scours the top quarter inch of dirt quite well). Lots of dead vegetation needed to be raked up and compost-piled barely off site, in the woods. That took a whole weekend, but I believe I seeded at the end of that weekend, or a day or two later.

It wasn't enough autumn left (this is now the third, or perhaps fourth, weekend in September) for the grass to sprout, grow, and get established, in mid-Michigan (I'm in the Flint area). I kept the seed moist, and there was a rain, and then the leaves started coming down. I've got a lot of trees and leaves, and mulching needed to be done, whether or not I had seed/seedlings out there. I did what I could. Winter arrives. Then Spring arrives.

Now that it's Spring, the poa annua, the poa trivialis, the niblewill, the bentgrass seeds all germinate, or re-appear, and they are all competing with that new bluegrass mix. Here's the problem: they all grow faster than the new bluegrass mix. They appear to all grow taller than the bluegrass. I keep the area mowed fairly short (for me), and give the bluegrass time to catch up. Hot weather arrives early this year, and quite dry. The poa annua starts dying, dramatically, and leaving spaces that the new bluegrass is quite happy to fill. It's getting taller, and spreading out. I tossed down some Milorganite in early May, again in late May, and I'm about to add another dose now, end of June.

Each time I mow the lawn, that lawn is darker green, and the new bluegrass is gaining on the other, less desirable, stuff. It does keep spreading out. But 'low growth habit' in the catalogues means that the stuff doesn't get very tall, right away. It is also very slow to get 'established', as opposed to 'pop out of the seed and become a seedling'. 'Established' means it's viable, it's going to grow, and it can stand a little neglect. It can even stand some tractor traffic, because it's big enough and strong enough. I don't want to mow that lawn by hand mower again, but I did it last weekend.

The last few illustrations are a rough outline of the bluegrass coming in, and filling out, and gradually taking over the other stuff. It's progress. But darn, it's not fast. And it's not good for the nerves.

The front lawn? It came in like a breeze. It's gorgeous. No problems out front, just piles of problems out back. So it goes.

Here's the pics.

1. The back yard needs renovation: clover, poa annua.

{{gwi:100365}}

And nimblewill, which looks like crap.

{{gwi:100366}}

and the poa annua, dying out, leaving gaps.

{{gwi:100367}}

Along with some tall fescue, which is a weed. And looks miserable.

{{gwi:100368}}

In some areas of the new seeded section, barely-alive, barely tall seedlings compete with dryness. And I water every day.

{{gwi:100369}}

Believe it or not, this area has been sprinkled every day. But it's been a very dry year.

{{gwi:100370}}

The front yard new seeded section came in wonderful. Everything closer to you than the bird is new Midnight blend.

{{gwi:100371}}

Here's a closeup of the midnight. In the front yard. It's doing great.

{{gwi:100372}}

The seedlings, trying to stay alive.

{{gwi:100373}}

A closer view.

{{gwi:100374}}

The farther portion is new Midnight blend KBG. Looks better every time I mow it. But it surely takes time, and Milorganite, to get it to spread out.

{{gwi:100375}}

Another view of the farther new stuff, and the closer bad stuff.

{{gwi:100376}}

It starts out quite thin,

{{gwi:100377}}

Then gets thicker as it spreads out,

{{gwi:100378}}

And thicker yet: it's still spreading out. I think I'm winning.

{{gwi:100379}}

I'll start out the other thread. Comments are welcome, over in the other thread. Thanks.

Comments (2)