SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Newbie Seed Project 2007-08

bakemom_gw
17 years ago

Now that the Newbie Seed Project has come to a close, I'm thinking about the next season. This year, thanks to tons of donors, we probably sent out more than 2000 packs of seed to about 150+ gardeners. About 500 packs were from my own garden. It was a lot of fun. There's nothing like coming home from work and finding Storygardener's seeds on the front porch waiting to go to the noobs. The boxes from the pros were just as delightful. I wish I had my final report, but computer problems prevented me from finishing that. My hard drive continues to crash as we speak. Suffice it to say, seeds went all over the country. I would guess the majority were in the Ohio area and surrounding states, but most states chimed in.

In the early stages many newbies had emails blocked, did not follow up with the SASBE, etc. It happens. Many had no idea what a SASBE was, but most were willing to learn. I had to be taught too once upon a time. I have a stash of bubble envelopes just for that reason - to get folks started on seed trading.

So, thinking about 2007-08, I'm inclined to think quality over quantity. I have a list of my own seeds from my garden with information about each plant. Perhaps I could refine the information and put together a pack that's thoughtful and cohesive. Could be fun. These are basic seeds people - nothing earth shaking here, but they are easy and fun seeds and that's what I think makes this so enjoyable. I would probably limit it to 50 newbies and donate the extra elsewhere. (WSEO perhaps?)

What are YOUR plans for seed trading? Anyone else (besides our beloved Trudi) planning a distribution project?

Comments (27)

• seedmama
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Keeping in mind that grand plans are more easily made than implemented, I wanted to share my thoughts. Because I am new, I don't know what I'll have, but I do have dreams.

A retirement community is very near my home. I would like to enlist residents who like to garden, but no longer have the land. I envision volunteers collecting, packaging, labeling and distributing the seeds to newbies and others. I would be the computer connection.

In addition to the seed project, I can see turning certain beds over to them entirely, to do with as they please. (Of course I'd encourage the use of WSing.) The community has a van so they could come and go as they please. Once a more permanent bridge structure is built across the creek, they could grow vegetables in their own part of my vegetable garden.

There are many details to work out, and I may be another year away, but that is the general idea of my dream.

• shirley1md
    17 years ago

Bakemom:

Next season, I'll be more than happy to provide a large variety of various seeds for newbies again. Sometimes it's difficult for some people to get started and these donated seeds really make the difference. It's wonderful to be on the receiving end, but it's just as fufilling & rewarding to be on the side that gives back.

For a bit of variety next year, perhaps we could try themes. Such as seeds that produce red flowers for Valentines Day, seeds that flower in the Spring, flowering vines, unusual seeds or ones that produce eatable fruit, etc.

Whenever you get your computer up and running again, it would indeed be very interesting to see how many packets were donated, number of participants vs. number of donors, the most popular seeds, states that requested the highest percentage, you get the general idea. I could go on and on. It's just depends on how you sort and filter your data.

Again, thanks again for hostessing this wonderful newbies project!!!!

• Related Discussions

have: newbie seed project - sasbe

Q

Comments (25)
    Happyseed, your email is blocked and there is no email link on your member page. I have no way to contact you. This happens all the time to new members, but it is easy to fix. There is plenty of seed for all - we have send out 834 packs of seed so far this fall. If I haven't contacted you, please let me know and be sure I have a way to do so.
    ...See More

have: newbie seed packs for sasbe

Q

Comments (109)
    This is such a great project. Thanks very much. I'll send you a sasbe this weekend! Zone 6a St Louis, MO I really love super beautiful and bright flowers that can be grown both indoors and out. Since I'm new, I only have a wish list page. The top flowers on my wish list page are: Black Velvet Nasturtium Drumstick Empress of India Nasturtium Moonflower Night Phlox Firmament Globe Amaranth Thanks for your help!! Dan
    ...See More

Newbie Seed Project 3000+

Q

Comments (12)
    Hi there, Bakemom! I am brand new to winter sowing. As a matter of fact, I thought my leg was being pulled when a friend told me about it. But my friend just laughed and told me to look you up. So here I am. I just noticed that you don't live too awfully far from me. I'm in Huntington, West Virginia. I drive up to Vinton County sometimes to look at my dad's old farm. BTW, I am heartbroken that the Buckeyes lost too :-( I have moved into a newly constructed home and have bare 'flower beds' full of construction debris and terrible clay soil. So I'm starting my cottage garden from scratch and need everything. In reading your post above, I see that you mention the WS exchange. I don't know where it is but I'll search this site for it right now. Please let me know if you think of any tips, tricks, etc. to share with me as I'd be most grateful. I can see that getting enough containers is going to be my first challenge.
    ...See More

Newbie Roll Call 2007-08

Q

Comments (136)
    Hello, everybody. I have been lurking in the shadows for sometime, but am truly addicted to gardening. I live in the foothills of North Carolina and have up until this point been gardening out of my greenhouse and through propagation. Which I truly enjoy, but I am in graduate school and still work which has made keeping the greenhouse going so difficult in the late winter. I was thrilled to learn about wintersowing, although maybe a bit skeptical at first. I now however have many little sprouts and must say am becoming resentful of all the attention my little greenhouse seedlings are requiring. My little jug plants as I call them are essentially care free. Anyway, I have three acres of land and have devoted my summers to making beds everywhere. My husband is not as thrilled about this as I am, but he goes along with it. I am soooo happy to be on this site, where I can talk to people who enjoy gardening as much as I do and can help me answer questions. It is great to meet everyone
    ...See More
  • bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Computer is up and running but the hard drive is failing. I downloaded my data onto a disk and the disk failed. Data lost. Very disappointing. I'm thinking 2000+ packets and at least 12 major donors participated.

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    17 years ago

The only plan I have is to collect seeds again (love it) and hope someone nice like you will find good homes for them. I've already started, in a way, because whenever I need a break from outside work, I "rest" by making seed envelopes for this fall.

• lblack61
    17 years ago

Well, I'm happy to say that I have a little more confidence in my seed collecting. I have sprouts from Penstemon "Husker Red", Zinnia "Thumbelina", and Liatris so far. All of these were seeds I collected (the Thumbelina was from two years ago!).
    So now that I know I'm not a total moron when it comes to seed collecting, I'm more willing to trade. I hated the thought of giving someone seed that wouldn't germinate for them, even if it wasn't my fault.
    So other than supplying every and anyone with all the Joe Pye Weed seeds they want, I think I could make up some Newbie packets to send for the next WSing season. I should probably include a purchased or split packet of Lettuce seeds just for that early germinating confidence booster.

Linda

• seedmama
    17 years ago

And let me add, since I don't realistically see my senior project happening next year, I'll be happy to contribute whatever bounty I have to ongoing distribution projects. I've been using my craft store coupons each week to stock up on tiny zippies. They're cheap anyway, but I'm a serious penny pincher.

• deborahz7
    17 years ago

This will be my first year collecting seeds. I'm sure I'll ask lots of questions. I also have lots of leftovers from this year. No plans for any projects of my own but I'd be happy to donate extra's to projects y'all have here. As soon as I'm caught up on planting out I need to get my trade list up.

• Lisa_H OK
    17 years ago

Bakemom: I would be happy to donate to your project. I donated all my excess last year to Trudi. She was very grateful, but I was even MORE grateful! I end up with what seems like thousands of one type of seed or another and I get overwhelmed trying to give them away on the seed exchange. The newbie projects (and WSEO) are a wonderful way to share.

I still have six or so generous trades of belamcanda if anyone knows who might need some :)

Lisa

• neonposey
    17 years ago

I'd love to shake up things on the seed exchange here a bit. Maybe I can come up with some interesting ways to get the seeds out and let the newbies get a good feel for seed trading in the process. The round robins and adopt a newbie projects are such fun and get lots of people involved and introduced to each other in a single event. Maybe we could do more of that here? Anyway, I'll start jotting down ideas.

And of course, I would be happy to donate to your cause and Trudi's if I have anything interesting to offer. I just dont want to send you more of what you already have tons of!

• trudi_d
    17 years ago

Bless you and everyone who shares with all of us.

Many years back, as a very nervous and brand new gardener I was stunned when I came across the GW seed exchange. I could not imagine that people could save seeds and it just stunned me that people would trade them, I was even more surprise that people would share them for free. The entire concept was completely new to me.

I very vervously sent a SASE to a lady, she wanted nothing in return and I sent off the letter. I was half-heartedly thinking that it was a con and I was being a fool and would get my stamps ripped off. A week later the SASE came back and it was stuffed like a football. I opened it up and there were dozens of packs of seeds that she had saved from her own garden. I burst into tears--I could not imagine such kindess from a stranger, that she would be so good to me, I didn't know here and she didn't know me, but in my hands was her gift of seeds. In that moment she changed my life.

• Lisa_H OK
    17 years ago

Trudi: I remember my first seeds too! I had admired a picture someone posted of matricaria (feverfew) and oriental lilies. I posted a question about it and a very nice lady from Nova Scotia offered to send me some feverfew. I was blown away (and a little nervous!) and gave her my address. When they showed up I overwhelmed at her generosity. I don't remember her name, but I think of her every time I send out seeds...especially when I send the feverfew!

Lisa

• priscilla2007
    17 years ago

Hello Everyone,
    I'm new to GardenWeb, and gardening. Where do I sign up for the Newbie Seed Project.

Thanks
    Priscilla

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's not a matter of signing up. Each year I offer seed from my garden and others for free to newbies. Right now, I am done until later this summer. Currently I am considering downsizing and not accepting donations in order to focus on quality of the information and not so much the quantity of seed as in the past.

Others, including the WSEO, offer seeds for SASE. I'm just wondering who else wishes to start a project and perhaps will carry the torch a bit in that respect.

• jessewo
    17 years ago

I have been so lucky in my trades this year that I HAVE to take the time to "weed out" those seeds that I won't have the space to use & would love to spread the wealth! Of course that means that I'll have to come in out of the yard, but I'll also donate to keep these seeds going & hook new "converts"! I too have been overwhelmed by the generousity & friendship of my seed traders. There's nothing like coming home & finding a fat envelope of seeds in the mail! Such possibilities!

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What a difference three months make. I am going to have to eat my words. First, a prolonged freeze in April and then drought to date. Many seeds that I had planned to harvest for the project were zapped or are in few supply. So, I probably will accept donations for the fall. Ones that are problems already:

Nigella
    Rose Campion
    Maltese Cross
    Marigolds

This is very disappointing, but I do have a ton of other seed from plants that weren't dismayed by the extreme gardening conditions. For example, I have more larkspur and sea holly than ever before. Coreopsis is doing well too.

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    16 years ago

bakemom, I'm so glad you reconsidered, and I look forward to participating again. It was so much fun. Of the problem seeds you mentioned, I will have nigella, rose campion, and marigolds. I've already started collecting and will have several new varieties this year.

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sounds good. Ohio State football probably won't be exciting as the last several years, so I won't be so manic. Plus, middle child is off to Ohio State this fall, so my house might stay more picked up and cleaner. 16 year old daughter is still doing band/field hockey at the same time, so that's going to eat into things, but I know the drill now that she's a sophomore.

I'm trying to come up with a good newbie seed list. My 2007 is in place, but it's incomplete and I have items that are not available from me, but perhaps from others.

OK, let's go for it.

• kqcrna
    16 years ago

Karen,

I hope to have seeds to donate to someone, though I won't have those that you mentioned.

I'm not too efficient at the seed collecting thing. Last year I cleaned the last ones only when I had to clear up the dining room clutter for Christmas decorations.... I did donate some to Mrs. Galihad's newbie seed project, though.

Karen

• jackier123
    16 years ago

bakemom,

I already have more hollyhock nigre seeds than the world should ever need and will have marigolds too. If you will email me your address, I will starting sending them to you as I have them.

Jackie

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm going to start offering in the early fall. So, I will put together a donor's post just before that.

I need to post my newbie sheet so you guys can see what I like to email out with the seed.

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    16 years ago

I'd love to see the newbie info sheet. I had to do a lot of research in the 2006 season as a newbie and kept all that info in a computer file -- ann, per, sun, water, height, spread, zone -- the basics sort of thing. I've been thinking about sending that info to newbies who request seeds one-on-one. Something like that certainly would have been helpful to me my first year.

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

NEWBIE/WINTER SOWING SEED LIST 2007-2008
    From Bakemom, Columbus, Ohio Zone 5/6
    kcmccoyesq@aol.com
    All plants are open pollinated and many contain chaff. Most come from my garden and are harvested from my best performers. Many of these seeds are from winter sown plants. I encourage you to do your own research before you sow these seeds to make sure you have the correct conditions and that the plants are not invasive or undesirable in your area. Many are cottage type plants that might not be suitable for formal gardens the key is research, research, research. Please feel free to email with questions.

1. Agastache foeniculum/Anise Hyssop Â(ag-ah-STACK-ee), hardy perennial also known as licorice mint with both white and purple blooms, heavy re-seeder, lovely scent, butterfly and bee magnet, full to part sun , 3-5 feet, prune to control reseeding from BakemomÂs winter sown garden.
    2. Alyssum/Basket of Gold- perennial, full sun, second year blooms, good for edging, tolerates heat, clay and dry soil, early brilliant yellow flowers  from BakemomÂs garden.
    3. Amsonia Blue Star  nice little perennial with blue stars in May/June, second year bloomer, somewhat rare, about 18 inches tall with willow like foliage  from BakemomÂs winter sown garden.
    4. Aquilegia/Columbine Mix  (ak-wil-EE-jee-uh), open pollinated biennial/perennial, pink, purple, white, doubles and singles, sun and shade  from BakemomÂs direct sowing garden - Not this year
    5. Calendula officinalis//Pot Marigold  (ka-LEND-yew-luh), nice reseeding annual that is a staple for cottage borders, full to part sun, various bloom sizes, various centers, 1-2 feet  from BakemomÂs winter sown garden. Not this year
    6. Centaurea cyanus/mix  (sen-TAW-ree-uh), annual bachelor button, jewel like blooms in early spring and then re-bloom from fallen seeds, plant en masse, winter sowers, re-seeds, great cottage garden plant, full sun, drought tolerant  from BakemomÂs winter sown garden.
    7. Centaurea dealbata/Persian Cornflower  perennial, first year bloomer, full sun, pink furry blooms, drought tolerant, re-seeds, bees and butterflies love it  from BakemomÂs winter sown garden . Not much this year
    8. Coreopsis/Tickseed  This is a perennial mix of the hardy versions of coreopsis. They are drought tolerant and donÂt seem to re-seed much around here. Whack the June blooms back for a re-flush or two. This is a staple for a sun garden and the seeds are fun to gather  from BakemomÂs winter sown garden.
    9. Dianthus barbatus/Sweet William MixÂ(dye-AN-thus), biennial, full sun, 18 inches, multiple colors, self seeder  from BakemomÂs winter sown garden. From RemyÂs Garden..
    10. Echinacea purpurea/Purple Coneflower/Magnus  hardy perennial, full sun, second year blooms, a classic perennial, great for bees, butterflies, and finches, cut back for second flush of blooms  from BakemomÂs winter sown gardens.
    11. Eryngium/Sea Holly  resembles an ice blue thistle and is such an unusual addition to your drought full sun garden. These guys are a little sticky, but well worth it. They summer sow beautifully and I would recommend late winter sowing them. You will love this perennial/sometimes annual.  From BakemomÂs winter sown garden.
    12. Eupatorium/Joe Pye Weed  this is an awesome edge of woodland perennial that is an Ohio native. It resembles Autumn Joy Sedum when itÂs in full bloom, but itÂs clearly not a succulent. It can grow 5-6 feet tall around here, but with some shade and some harsher conditions, itÂs 3-4 feet in my backyard. This is a fabulous plant. It winter sows beautifully and pots up with little to no fuss. Do a little research and you will fall in love  from BakemomÂs winter sown garden.

My gaillardia last about 4 years. They are worth the re-sowing and will always be a staple in my drought garden.

13. Gaillardia/Blanket Flower  (gah-LAR-dee-uh), short lived bi-color perennial, first year blooms, drought tolerant  from BakemomÂs winter sown garden.
    14. Gaillardia grandiflora/Burgundy  short lived perennial, full sun, second year blooms, drought tolerant, yellow eye, blooms all summer well into fall  from BakemomÂs winter sown garden. Not this year
    15. Gaillardia/Golden - short lived perennial, full sun, second year yellow sunny blooms, drought tolerant, blooms all season, cut back to control flop  from BakemomÂs spring sown garden. Not this year

Helenium have weedy feet. The blooms are awesome. Plan to have something shorter in front of them. You will love this plant.

16. Helenium/HelenÂs Mix  nice perennial with blooms in yellow, orange and red  some bicolor, full sun and give it space to clump  from BakemomÂs garden
    17. Heliopsis/Lorraine Sunshine  variegated perennial with lovely single flowers, blooms all summer long, reseeds and about half are variegated, 3-5 feet tall, full to part sun  from BakemomÂs garden.
    18. Heliopsis/Summer Sun  perennial, full sun, cheerful yellow double blooms 3-4 feet tall, middle of border plant  from BakemomÂs garden.
    19. Hollyhocks- Alcea/black  (al-SEE-uh), very dark purple looking nearly black, very dramatic perennial  from BakemomÂs winter sown garden.
    20. Hollyhock/single Burgundy  a nice big perennial with grape jelly colored blooms - from BakemomÂs winter sown garden.
    21. Impatiens Balsam  (im-PAY-shens), beautiful reseeding annual, full to part sun, fun to collect seeds, all colors and some spotted, a must-have for the cottage garden  from BakemomÂs winter sown and direct sown garden. Not this year
    22. Knautia macedonica mix  (NAW-tee-uh), perennial, full sun, second year bloomer, burgundy, pink, hot pink, light pink, tolerates clay and dry conditions, cut back spent blooms in late June for re-bloom from BakemomÂs winter sown garden.
    23. Larkspur Mix/Consolida regalis  (kon-SOL-i-duh), re-seeding annual in mostly purple, some white, pink, blue and bi-color white with blue tips, both tall and short, nice cottage and wildflower, June bloomer, drought tolerant  from BakemomÂs winter sown and direct sown garden.
    24. Lunaria/Money Plant/Honesty Mix  biennial second year annual, part sun, edge of woodland plant, mostly purple, variegated, and some white  from BakemomÂs winter sown and direct sown garden.
    25. Lychnis/Rose Campion  (LICK-niss), biennial, drought tolerant, full to part sun, carefree reseeder  from BakemomÂs direct sown garden.
    26. Lychnis/White Campion - (LICK-niss), probably biennial, second year blooms, drought tolerant, full to part sun, some have pink throats  from BakemomÂs winter sown garden.
    27. Malva/Pink Lance Leaf  perennial reseeder, full sun, nice cottage garden plant, single blooms late spring to early summer  from BakemomÂs garden.
    28. Nigella damascena/Love in a Mist  reseeding annual, full to part sun, nice edging plant, I canÂt say enough good things about this plants, pods are nice dried, could be blue, white, maybe some pink, itÂs all good, heirloom flower good for filling in gaps in the front of the border  from BakemomÂs winter sown garden.
    29. Penstemon Husker Red  perennial, lovely red foliage with white flowers that bloom in June, prefers part sun  from BakemomÂs garden.
    30. Poppy Mix  full sun reseeding annual, best winter sown and early plant out in hunk of seedlings, singles, doubles, who knows whatÂs in this mix?, about 2 feet tall and just beautiful  From FarmerbellÂs Grden
    31. Ratibida/Mexican Hat  perennial, full sun, first year blooms, nice wildflower and interesting cone, drought tolerant, native Midwestern wildflower  from BakemomÂs winter sown gardens.
    32. Ratibida columnifera/yellow coneflower  similar to Mexican hat, but smaller, more delicate blooms with solid yellow petals, drought tolerant, full sun, native prairie wildflower  from BakemomÂs winter sown garden.

All my Rudbeckias contain chaff. I donÂt have time to clean them completely, but I do some loose cleaning. The seeds in Rudbeckia are the short gray/black pegs which settle to the bottom of the bag. In my experience, chaff doesnÂt cause any problems whatsoever. It doesnÂt in nature, why should it here?

33. Rudbeckia Laciniata  (rood-BEK-ee-uh), perennial outhouse flower 6-7 feet tall, full sun, lemon blooms with green eyes, lance leaf back of the border plant  from BakemomÂs garden.
    34. Rudbeckia Clasping coneflower  (rood-BEK-ee-uh), annual re-seeder, sun, about 18-24 inches, cute little blooms  from BakemomÂs winter sown garden.
    35. Saponaria/Bouncing Bet  this is a fun perennial that re-seeds and sends out runners, so provide a little drought or poor soil to tame it. It looks like a cross between Sweet William and Phlox and blooms in July with pink flowers. From BakemomÂs garden.
    36. Scabiosa/cream  (skab-ee-OH-suh), perennial with tall airy cream pincushion blooms, very dainty  from BakemomÂs winter sown garden.
    37. St. JohnÂs Wort  fabulous shrub with beautiful yellow flowers. This is one to plant in a group of 3-5 for maximum WOW. They winter sow beautifully and are care-free. I winter sowed some in 2006 and the results were wonderful. Try a shrub  try this one - from BakemomÂs garden.
    38. Stachys officinalis/Wood Betony  hardy perennial, shade, lovely purple blooms on a stick in late summer, relative of lambÂs ears  from BakemomÂs direct sown and winter sown garden.
    39. Succisa pratensis  perennial that resembles Scabiosa, 6 inches tall with 8 inch spread, this blooms in late summer/early fall with large light purple Scabiosa- like blooms, they winter sow like champs!!!  from BakemomÂs garden.
    40. Verbena bonariensis/Verbena on a Stick  (ver-BEE-nuh), nice re-seeding annual with pom-pom like purple blooms on long thin stalks, full sun, middle of the border, re-seeds, drought tolerant  from BakemomÂs winter sown garden.

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    16 years ago

nice info sheet ... especially with pronunciation aids!

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    16 years ago

nice list ... especially with the bloom descriptions and pronunciation key!!

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    16 years ago

Oh well, system said message rejected because of earlier response to post. Guess it wasn't. Anyway, nice list, or did I already mention that?

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You did and much thanks. I would like to add more such as zinnia, cleome, petunia, etc.

Thank Select Seeds and others for the pronouncers.

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Bakemom,
    I'll have a ton of seeds again, so I can send them to you in the fall. I don't recall what I sent last year, but I will definitely have lots of Baptisia among other things. The newbies always seem to like that one.
    Remy

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH