SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adrock1_gw

Rock hard soil. no luck with shampoo. help

adrock1
9 years ago

Hey all. Have done a lot of research here on the forum but I'm still stumped by my yard. Some background: it's a new home. Moved in last august. It was sodded with Bermuda. At Te end of last year I watrted heavily and fertilized and had it looking pretty healthy. I had the first lawn in the development to green up this year. So far this year I have been pretty much following the Bermuda bible. Over all the yard doesn't look awful. The grass is actually quite lush in some places. Others are not looking so good.

The soil in these areas is rock hard. I'm 240lbs and with all my effort I can't get a flat blade screw driver to penetrate even half an inch. And this after a thorough soaking of at least an inch of water. Immediately after watering I dug up a small patch and the soil is like a brick and bone dry. Absolutely zero penetration by the water.

Son I tried a couple applications of baby shampoo over a period of two weeks. So far no noticeable improvement at all. I'm convinced that the crummy red clay fill they used to level the lot has been compacted by the heavy equipment they used to grade the yard and I'll never get water into it.

Should I continue to try to soften it with the baby shampoo? I'm thinking my only option is to get aggressive with a core areator. I'll be honest though, this soil is so hard in places that I'm very skeptical the areator will even scratch the surface. Its that hard.

The yard is also horribly lumpy and uneven. Leveling will just have to be a project for next year but to now I just want to get this yard to soak up and hold some moisture. I'm confident it would make an extraordinary difference.

Thanks

Comments (12)