SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rose_nutty

Fertilizer and heavy rain

15 years ago

I am in charge of grounds maintenance for our local volunteer club soccer fields. A week and a half ago, we had an application of fertilizer/season-long grub control put down. I do not know the name of what the guy used, but I do know it was made by Anderson, which he said is the science behind Scotts. Anyway, it was put down on a Sunday, hubby watered it in with the sprinkler system a bit on Monday, and on Wednesday the rain started. We have had around 7" of rain in total. There has been standing water on the fields in places, and much runoff into the drainage ditches (they were full level with the playing fields at one point for about 24-36 hours). It was not a heavy downpour much - just rained for very long periods of time. My question is this - is there any way any of the stuff that we put on is still there? It was around $1400 to put it down, and I'm not sure the club can afford to reapply it. However, the grubs nearly destroyed our grass last year, and because we live in a rural area, the critters (I'm guessing racoons) dug into the grass to get at the grubs as well, causing even more destruction. The grass also desparately needed the fertilizer because we have had copious amounts of rain all spring, and the first application is long gone. What do you recommend?

Comments (16)