SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
betsyhac

Tired Already

betsyhac
12 years ago

I have a very small lot, but not much time. And in Wisconsin, not much summer. I have two little girl dogs who have made many, many brown spots. Last summer, I had a little pea gravel pathway put in on the perimeter of about half the yard as a "potty patch." We're still working on using that on a regular basis. I've followed Gary in Chicago's advise on planting seed and have been successful, but even in my small yard, it's a project and me tackling it alone while working f/t and tending to the flower gardens has been difficult - not only the initial seeding project, but then the watering and protecting the spots. I was thinking I would hire someone to come in and patch the spots with sod. Is this possible/advisable or should I persevere with the seeding? I've been trying to find a service and it seems impossible to discern who's good/reliable. The other issue, of course, is the weeds. My neighbor's lawn is almost completely creeping Charlie and since last summer, it has creeped quite a ways onto my lawn. I've been trying to pull it, but then there is the garlic mustard creeping in on another side from another neighbor. And the clover!! Sheesh. Other factors: I have a potbelly pig who eats the grass, so no chemicals. And whenever I seed, it's really a challenge keeping the pig, the dogs and, yes, there are cats, off the newly seeded spots. If I did them all at once, I'd have a maze. Someone told me to use burlap. Does this work? My lawn was so nice when I moved in. Is it hopeless?

Thx so much,

Betsy, exhausted in WI

Comments (3)