SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
craftylady_2006

My Cement Birdbath

craftylady-2006
16 years ago

Hi All - Just got back from Omaha to see my first Granddaughter. She sure is a sweetie. Babci got up every night to help with the changing of the diapers and bringing her to Mom to feed. My gosh, those new parents were really amazed that little girl will sleep in her crib - LOL (you know how it is, new parents bring the baby to bed with them so they can sleep). Grandma put her in her crib and viola, sleepy, sleepy time. I'll post some pics on the Conversation side.

Anywho--- the other Grandma had us over one day to make concrete birdbaths using big leaves for the bowl. You build a mound of sand, lay the leaf on it and then cover the whole thing with cement mixture. Let it set for two days and it's done. I need to sand down the edges a bit. I'm told just using a brick to sand it will do the trick. It also has to be sealed first with concrete sealer but I couldn't resist putting it out near my birdfeeder to see if any of my feathered friends might come in for a drink or a little bath. It's a bit hard to see the leaf veins but they're there. I have it sitting on top of a upside down hanging metal planter for now. I put fern leaves on the bottom of the concrete after making it, before letting it set. I also wrote "Bella loves Babci" on the back with the Date for remembrance. The leafs are actually still there when it's set. You can either pull them off or leave them on and seal over the leaves. It's real pretty seeing the green of the leaves in the concrete. I made two of them, the other was way to big to bring in my carry on bag on the flight home as I used about six big hostas leaves overlapping them around in a oblong shape. It's a real easy recipe cement mixture if anyone would like to make them, just let me know in this post.

It's good to be home, I missed my kitty and I sure could use a full night's sleep myself.

Sal

{{gwi:190204}}

{{gwi:190206}}

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery